Climate @ 21c Should I be getting heat?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
RealGoneKid

Post by RealGoneKid »

Hi

T5 Twin Engine Recharge owners climate question.

Must admit as we’ve driven significantly on electric, and on pure mode, since we’ve had it, we’ve given climate control benefit of doubt having read a few people question it’s quality on here.

Today though, 10c outside and driven for a quite a while on hybrid and on engine we really noticed that with 21c set on both climate sides all we were getting was cool air blowing out, and this was the case unless moving above 24c. Auxiliary heater setting was on.

Is this typical amongst T5 owners, or is it worth us getting it checked out?
T5 Recharge PHEV MY21, R Design Pro, Glacier Silver, Lounge & Climate packs. New purchase from dealer stock Oct 20. Ceramic Coated after purchase.

Roma317

Post by Roma317 »

I drive a pure petrol T4 and have the same experience. I don't find it strange.

I've had my T4 for almost 2 years and I always have it on 22 degs, auto climate, - Winter and Summer. At 22 degs today it was blowing cold, but over winter in cold weather it blows hot. In a long run the temp is pretty stable at whatever it's set.

The manual says:

Perceived temperature
The climate control system regulates the climate in the passenger compartment based on the perceived temperature, not on actual temperature.

The temperature you select in the passenger compartment corresponds to the physically perceived temperature as affected by factors such as the ambient temperature, air speed, humidity, solar radiation, etc. in and around the car at the time.

The system includes a sun sensor which detects on which side the sun is shining into the passenger compartment. This means that the temperature can differ between the right and left-hand side's air vents despite the controls being set for the same temperature on both sides.

The manual goes on to say:

Climate control - sensors
The climate control system has a number of sensors to help control the climate in the car.

Sensor location
Sun sensor - on the upper side of the instrument panel.

Moisture sensor - in the casing by the interior rearview mirror.

Outside temperature sensor - in the right-hand door mirror.

Temperature sensor for the passenger compartment - by the physical buttons in the centre console.
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

I change my temp occasionally and when you raise (for example from 18 to 21) you do get a little flush of warm air. The climate control in the XC40 is the best I've ever used, and keeps the temp really stable
StewartM

Post by StewartM »

OK, declaring I currently drive a Ford Fiesta.

21c in moderate climate is fine. In winter on my 10 mile commute, heat tails off too soon, put it up to 24. Accept that 24 would get too hot on a longer run.
In hot summer need to turn it back to 18 or 19.

Sometmies think I'd be happier with a manual system.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Remember this is climate control which is different from basic ventilation or air conditioning.

You should set the temperature setting to whatever temperature you want the average temperature in the cabin to be. If it's colder than that temp in the cabin, it will blow hot air. Warmer and it will blow cold air. The car also uses a sensor behind the mirror to try and figure out if there is bright sun which might cause the cabin to warm up more quickly and adjust as it needs to .

I see so many people get in a hot car and immediately set it to 16 degrees only to then change it again once the car gets too cold thinking this will somehow cool the car faster. It won't! These are the same people who walk into a warm meeting room and to exactly the same thing. They then get too cold and set it to 26 degrees until it's too warm then set it back down to 16 degrees again and so on when what they should do is set the thing to 21 (or whatever) and leave it alone.

Simply set the temperature to the temperature you want the cabin to be and let the car do the rest.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde