Driver Assist Package - Is it worth it?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
bba

Post by bba »

eugen61 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:45 am It might also change your opinion about this being a major Volvo safety flaw since the system was never intended for use on roads without lane markings.
Certainly not! Clear, explicit handover from the driver assistance system to the driver is absolutely crucial for the continuous safe operation of the vehicle. It is frankly astonishing that Volvo made such a terrible design choice not to provide an alert on handover to the driver. The system in my BMW made it very clear when it handed control over to the driver. How such a poor design choice even made it through type approval is disappointing and calls for better criteria for granting such approval, No amount of hedging in the manual can undo the fact it is a bad design choice.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

bba wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:19 am
eugen61 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:45 am It might also change your opinion about this being a major Volvo safety flaw since the system was never intended for use on roads without lane markings.
Certainly not! Clear, explicit handover from the driver assistance system to the driver is absolutely crucial for the continuous safe operation of the vehicle. It is frankly astonishing that Volvo made such a terrible design choice not to provide an alert on handover to the driver. The system in my BMW made it very clear when it handed control over to the driver. How such a poor design choice even made it through type approval is disappointing and calls for better criteria for granting such approval, No amount of hedging in the manual can undo the fact it is a bad design choice.
You’re right about the handover, EuroNCAP test result for Unresponsive Driver Intervention is 0 out of 25 points for Volvo. It seams Volvo took notice, Polestar 2 received this year a Pilot Assist update that was tested by EuroNCAP getting 20 out of 25 points for Unresponsive Driver Intervention, same score as achieved by BMW. This update is coming also to Volvo, I wonder if it will be available for the older models not equipped with Android Automotive.
bba

Post by bba »

It turns out that unlike the BMW the XC40 does not have sensors for hands on the wheel all around, but only in the "10 to 2" hand position, which gets very tiresome on 1,000-mile journeys and really messed up my neck. Not holding the steering wheel like so is what caused the irritating need for the yank.

After test-driving a C40 with the latest software - 2.6 I think... on which the Pilot Assist was somewhat better I gave up and took the plunge to trade in for a lightly used BMW iX3 Premier Edition. While not perfect the Driver Assist on the BMW is far better than the Pilot Assist. The folks a Volvo Cars ought to go for a drive in a BMW...

I had a 61-reg Ford Focus with their driver assist way back then and even that was FAR better than the Pilot Assist. So my answer to the OP, years ago, is an emphatic - NO.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Mine is quite happy me holding it at 20/25 past 7/8... 21 reg B4
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Same as Felindre, holding one hand at 7/8 will keep Pilot Assist active. No matter where I touch the steering wheel it senses my hand.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I thought it sensed the slight resistance holding the wheel provided rather than a touch sensor.....
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

That might well be the case, my point is it’s not limited to “10 to 2” hand position.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

eugen61, you are correct, I was agreeing with you. Apply the slightest resistance anywhere, including the chrome bits, and it turns off the warning. Tested it earlier on drive home, works perfectly. Unsure what the issue is really, although I can guess.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.