Cleaning chrome window strips

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

I’ve just been cleaning the car and noticed that the chrome window trims are tarnished by limescale (we live in a really hard water area).
My normal cleaning kit wont shift it so before I attack it with kitchen cleaner and a brillo pad ( :lol: ) I wondered if anyone had some more gentle ways of removing the limescale?

WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

What is under the chrome? Is it steel or plastic? I once used a metal polish cautiously on raised lettering on the boot lid and with only a few gentle strokes the black plastic base began to show through. Maybe try some diluted vinegar which dissolves limescale effectively but is not abrasive. The plated chrome layer may be very thin.
Moss

Post by Moss »

NitramA wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:29 pm I’ve just been cleaning the car and noticed that the chrome window trims are tarnished by limescale (we live in a really hard water area).
My normal cleaning kit wont shift it so before I attack it with kitchen cleaner and a brillo pad ( :lol: ) I wondered if anyone had some more gentle ways of removing the limescale?
In the Benelux, this Dutch product is by far the best limescale remover.
https://hg.eu/uk/products/hg-scale-away ... x-stronger

The product is very effective. The webpage shows you that it is for sale in the UK at several stores and web shops.

HG Scale Away.jpg

Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

Personally, I would start cautiously with a mild acid such as lemon juice or white vinegar on a small area. It's not exactly the same thing, but a chopped up lemon boiled in a kettle and left overnight removes mild limescale very easily.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

Looks like it’s a plastic base and quite delicate.
I’ll try the lemon or white vinegar first and move onto bathroom limescale remover and report back.
cjh

Post by cjh »

A bit late now, but if you filter your water for the final rinse using a 0ppm water filter you will not have to worry about water deposits, indeed you won't have to even wipe dry, the water will just evaporate leaving no water marks.
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

cjh wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:21 am A bit late now, but if you filter your water for the final rinse using a 0ppm water filter you will not have to worry about water deposits, indeed you won't have to even wipe dry, the water will just evaporate leaving no water marks.
It’s a good point. I remember when I had a black carI looked into in line water filters but then it wasn’t particularly cost effective.

I’ve been washing the car and then using a waterless cleaner spray when its still wet to dry and give protection.
I know its sounds counter intuitive but I’ve never liked to use waterless washer kit on a dry car and it does provide a really nice polish plus it removes any water before it deposits limescale.

Obviously as I now know it works on paint but not the trim.
I have to say that the trim is only effected on one side as its the side that’s in direct sunlight when the cars parked up.

I’ll have another look at the water filter as I do like a “spotless” car!
bravem01

Post by bravem01 »

When I had a black car (never again!) after washing and drying I used Autoglym Aqua Wax and a microfibre cloth, it got rid of all the limescale blotches on the bodywork and windows. Highly recommended and easy to apply.
2020 XC40 R-design, T4
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

My mantra, living in a really hard water area is Never ever wash the car in sunlight.

That's why I often wait until dusk or a cloudy day 😁
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.