What Spec/Options to go for?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
williduck

Post by williduck »

Hi

I’m looking to get a new XC40 we’re going from having a Nissan Juke & Qashqai over the past 9 years so we’re used to a good spec, as a minimum we’re after:

Sat nav - happy with Apple play
360 camera - my wife couldn’t cope without this now after having it for 9 years!!!
Keyless entry (I think this is standard)

We were looking at R Design but unsure as to whether we need the R Design Pro to get the camera or the lounge pack on the R Design.

Any advice would be appreciated

jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

First speak to your dealer and find out whether you're ordering an MY21 or MY22 car. They change this in March every year so MY22 is available to order from March 2021. Your dealer will have allocated slots of MY21 to use up, and then all new orders will be MY22.

This is important because they changed the options (e.g. no lounge pack on MY22).

Assuming you're ordering MY22:
SatNav is standard, but if you want to use Apple Carplay that's an option on all trim levels for £300
360 Camera is an option for £500 on any trim except Momentum Core
Keyless entry is not standard either, only keyless start is. To get keyless entry (they call it "Keyless Drive") you need to add the versatility pack which varies in price depending on what trim level you add it to.

So the minimum spec to get what you want would be T3 Manual Momentum + Versatility Pack + 360 Camera.
Last edited by jamie307 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Moss

Post by Moss »

It is often asked what (general) difference there is between the standard « keyless start » and the optional « keyless entry » :

* all trim levels of the XC40 have keyless start, meaning that to lock/unlock the doors and the boot, you have to push a button on the key fob, but once in the car you can start the car by pushing the start/stop button on the dashboard : you just need to have the key fob in the car somewhere (or in your pocket).

* if you have « keyless entry » which is part of the optional Versatility Pack, starting the car is the same as here above, but locking/unlocking the doors and boot is different. You don’t have to push a button on the key fob to lock/unlock the doors and/or the boot : suffice to have the key fob in your pocket, and the door(s) and boot will unlock automatically when you grab a door handle. You also have the so-called handsfree tailgate feature (the « kick » opening of the boot). To lock the doors and boot once out of the car, you just touch a kind of small touchpad on the outside of a door handle (or the specific button on the tailgate).

In other words, with the optional « keyless entry » you don’t have to handle the key fob : you just keep it in your pocket (and you have the hands-free tailgate or « kick » opening of the boot extra).

With the optional « keyless entry » you also have LED lights under each outside door handle so that you can see the door handle better in the dark.

And by the way : even if you have the optional « keyless entry » your key fob still works, so you can use the buttons on the key fob to lock/unlock the doors and/or boot if you prefer to do it that way. Beats me why someone would want to pay for an option he/she doesn’t want to use, but I guess
it takes all kinds to make a world...
John728

Post by John728 »

Moss wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:04 pm
...Beats me why someone would want to pay for an option he/she doesn’t want to use, but I guess
it takes all kinds to make a world...
You're walking in a dark, damp underground carpark. You hear the sound of footsteps behind you. The footsteps quicken, your heart beat skips. Your heart beat races. "I'm gonna get you" a voice rings out, "you and your f'ing Volvo".

You run, you grasp the handle of your keyless entry XC40, nothing happens.

You release the handle, and grasp it again, Nothing.

Release again, grasp again, this time the servos click, the door unlocks.

Too late, the figure behind pulls you away into the dark and the damp.

Your last thoughts - "I wish I'd pressed my key fob on the approach to the car".

😬
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Yeah why fiddle about touching special hidden door handle touchpads before pulling the handle, when you can simply unlock the door as you approach and then open it with a single careless tug.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
the Figure Behind

Post by the Figure Behind »

Keyless entry? Seems like a good system to me 👹
Andyfr

Post by Andyfr »

I have keyless entry on my current Rav4 but haven't specified it on my order for the XC40. I never found it to be a huge benefit to be honest and more of a possible security problem so I turn off the key as I park it.
Andyfr

June 2021 B4 AWD Inscription - Pebble Grey - Dark tinted windows - Temp spare wheel.
williduck

Post by williduck »

Thanks for the great replies

All this has reminded me why we got a 2nd Qashqai 3 years ago - you get so much spec for your money!!!

Sat Nav as standard is great, would rather have that Tegan Apple play to be fair.

£500 extra for the 360 camera seems a good price - much better than the lounge pack or upgrade to Pro.

We’ll need the versatility pack for keyless entry though - again something that my wife is used to from Nissan. Extremely useful for us with 2 young kids - and this might sound a bit sexist but I think it’s more useful for women than men as they have to look round there bag to find the key whereas men just have it in there pocket
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

I have keyless entry. The remote key is too big for my liking and the sport key is much smaller and more comfortable in my pocket.

Re the option spec - folding boot floor, 360 camera, pilot assist and BLIS are highly recommended.
williduck

Post by williduck »

jamie307 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:13 pm First speak to your dealer and find out whether you're ordering an MY21 or MY22 car. They change this in March every year so MY22 is available to order from March 2021. Your dealer will have allocated slots of MY21 to use up, and then all new orders will be MY22.

This is important because they changed the options (e.g. no lounge pack on MY22).

Assuming you're ordering MY22:
SatNav is standard, but if you want to use Apple Carplay that's an option on all trim levels for £300
360 Camera is an option for £500 on any trim except Momentum Core
Keyless entry is not standard either, only keyless start is. To get keyless entry (they call it "Keyless Drive") you need to add the versatility pack which varies in price depending on what trim level you add it to.

So the minimum spec to get what you want would be T3 Manual Momentum + Versatility Pack + 360 Camera.
Thanks for this Jamie - I've got a couple of prices back and some have quoted just for the camera, others have said that I need the Park Assist Pack as well, some say Driver Awareness Pack as well to get the 360 camera.

Aare you sure that you can just get the 360 camera by itself? The brochure has a caveat next to it stating "Only in combination with Driver Awareness or Driver Assist Pack and Park Assist Pack"