E10 fuel - what’s your opinion?

The place to discuss everything else..
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

So, E10 petrol is coming to the UK fast (if it’s not here at some stations already).

It’s fully compatible with our cars but how do people think it will impact on consumption and power. I exclusively fill up on Shell V-Power in my T5.

7913199B-052C-4E82-956E-AFC95B700534.png

R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

My opinion is you are wasting your money buying premium petrol for your T5
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Chris John wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:02 pm My opinion is you are wasting your money buying premium petrol for your T5
Ah, ok. Perhaps tell Volvo....

0CBE32EB-956D-43D6-A7C9-A2F34325E33A.png

R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Dermottdog wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:10 pm
Chris John wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:02 pm My opinion is you are wasting your money buying premium petrol for your T5
See previous reply.......you are wasting your money
Gain V extra cost is just not worth it
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Chris John wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:44 pm

Yes I know about your previous reply and the one I’m replying to now. It’s all about opinions. I respect yours but I respect Volvos specs too. There are conflicting opinions both ways. Some say it’s a waste, others (including Volvo) say it improves power and economy. I use to fill my Mini JCW up with it. Got more pops and bangs from the exhaust so it’s more than just stinging the customer at the pump.
Moss

Post by Moss »

FYI, since many years we use E10 (formerly called SP95 over here) for all our petrol cars, so also but not just for the Volvo XC40 my wife uses since about a year now. No problem whatsoever. If there possibly would be an impact on consumption and/or power, we certainly don’t feel or see it.

But OK, apart from the Volvo we’re just talking Audi, Mercedes, and Peugeot. If it were Ferrari, Porsche or Maserati, I guess we would use the premium high octane petrol recommended for those.

I think it also depends on your drivers’ characteristics : if you have a very sporty driving style, it’s probably a good idea to always use premium petrol.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Dermottdog wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:02 pm

Yes I know about your previous reply and the one I’m replying to now. It’s all about opinions. I respect yours but I respect Volvos specs too. There are conflicting opinions both ways. Some say it’s a waste, others (including Volvo) say it improves power and economy. I use to fill my Mini JCW up with it. Got more pops and bangs from the exhaust so it’s more than just stinging the customer at the pump.
It pops and bangs because the fuel is not burnt efficiently and it’s burning in the exhaust. That’s not efficient and is wasting money and fuel.
Volvos spec says Ron 95 is suitable for normal driving. I guess you don’t drive normally 🤦🏻‍♂️
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Chris John wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:38 am

It pops and bangs because the fuel is not burnt efficiently and it’s burning in the exhaust. That’s not efficient and is wasting money and fuel.
Volvos spec says Ron 95 is suitable for normal driving. I guess you don’t drive normally 🤦🏻‍♂️

Eh, no. It pops and bangs because Mini built it into the software. Premium fuel makes it pop and bang more. Mini removed the pops and bangs for the American market because they didn’t like it. As for driving normally, i think the fuel figures speak for themselves. It must be all the premium fuel I’m using. Accept it and move on....

69B98FBE-1826-4A2F-A90E-EB3A6544B5C5.jpeg

Last edited by Dermottdog on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Dermottdog wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:16 am

Eh, no. It pops and bangs because Mini built it into the software. Premium fuel makes it pop and bang more. Mini removed the pops and bangs for the American market because they didn’t like it. As for driving normally, i think the fuel figures speak for themselves. I must be all the premium fuel I’m using. Accept it and move....
Oh dear. You’ve fallen for the marketing
Carry on
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Chris John wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:19 am
Dermottdog wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:16 am

Eh, no. It pops and bangs because Mini built it into the software. Premium fuel makes it pop and bang more. Mini removed the pops and bangs for the American market because they didn’t like it. As for driving normally, i think the fuel figures speak for themselves. I must be all the premium fuel I’m using. Accept it and move....
Oh dear. You’ve fallen for the marketing
Carry on
Clearly we won’t agree on this. You say marketing?
FACT - Mini pops and bangs due to software.
FACT - Mini pops and bangs more with premium fuel.
FACT - Mini removes pops and bangs for USA market via flash update.
FACT - UK Mini customers not happy as the update is not reversible.
FACT - Volvo manual states premium fuel increases MPG and power.

And last but not least, FACT - you can’t blame everything on marketing just because someone holds a different opinion to yours.