Stop/start

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Tonyd259

Post by Tonyd259 »

Hi,
Apart from the button on the center area is there any way to completely disable this, my button does not seem to make much of a difference and the car engine seems to stop fully whenever I do.
Just find it annoying.

Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

The stop/start always defaults to 'on' every time you start the car in the same way it always defaults to comfort mode. You can however configure an individual drive mode with stop/start disabled.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
Split Infinitive

Post by Split Infinitive »

Tonyd259 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:36 am Hi,
Apart from the button on the center area is there any way to completely disable this, my button does not seem to make much of a difference and the car engine seems to stop fully whenever I do.
Just find it annoying.
There isn't a way to complete disable the start/stop system. It will simply reset itself on the next use.
Qarx

Post by Qarx »

I read about a way, where you can disconnect the stop start battery, but then you will be getting warning about it, not the mention, there is no knowing what else is connected to that battery.
Split Infinitive

The manual says: Cars with the start/stop function are equipped with two batteries - one more powerful 12 V starter battery for starting and one support battery that helps during the function's starting sequence.

I doubt you can split the combined duties of the two batteries in such a simplistic way. I think the answer remains the same; the UK version of the car does not allow a permanent disablement of the stop/start function.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I wouldn’t fret about this too much, my stop/start system hasn’t worked since the beginning of 2020! Both batteries were checked at the last service in October 2020 and pronounced healthy. Dealer gave me a long list of things that stop it working, top of the list was lack of long distance journeys. The system can’t cope with constant city/short distance journeys apparently...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

I don’t like the Start/Stop feature either, but you can disable it. Go to ‘Settings’, select ‘My Car’ then ‘Individual Drive Mode’. Swipe the screen up and at the bottom you will find a box to untick for the Start/Stop feature. This will then stay as your choice whenever you click ‘Individual’ in the Drive Mode list. If you feel it would be useful for the traffic conditions again, simply select ‘Comfort’ from the drive mode list.

When I get tired of keeping the foot brake pressed at a long traffic light delay, I revert to my previous practice with a manual transmission: put the gear in neutral and apply the wheel brake with the centre console button until I anticipate the light is about to go green.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

WelshRobin wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:20 pm I don’t like the Start/Stop feature either, but you can disable it. Go to ‘Settings’, select ‘My Car’ then ‘Individual Drive Mode’. Swipe the screen up and at the bottom you will find a box to untick for the Start/Stop feature. This will then stay as your choice whenever you click ‘Individual’ in the Drive Mode list. If you feel it would be useful for the traffic conditions again, simply select ‘Comfort’ from the drive mode list.

When I get tired of keeping the foot brake pressed at a long traffic light delay, I revert to my previous practice with a manual transmission: put the gear in neutral and apply the wheel brake with the centre console button until I anticipate the light is about to go green.
I don’t see the advantage of using individual mode to disable stop/start. Once individual is configured, you have to press the mode button, the select individual. If you don’t use individual and just swipe and select, you still have to perform 2 actions.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Split Infinitive

Dermottdog wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:52 pm
WelshRobin wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:20 pm I don’t like the Start/Stop feature either, but you can disable it. Go to ‘Settings’, select ‘My Car’ then ‘Individual Drive Mode’. Swipe the screen up and at the bottom you will find a box to untick for the Start/Stop feature. This will then stay as your choice whenever you click ‘Individual’ in the Drive Mode list. If you feel it would be useful for the traffic conditions again, simply select ‘Comfort’ from the drive mode list.

I don’t see the advantage of using individual mode to disable stop/start. Once individual is configured, you have to press the mode button, the select individual. If you don’t use individual and just swipe and select, you still have to perform 2 actions.
It's a lot easier, and safer if you're driving, to set up Individual and simply press the physical drive mode button twice.

You don't have to take your eyes off the road.

First press of the button brings up the modes, second press moves down one and selects Individual.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

8 Characters wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:59 pm
Dermottdog wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:52 pm

It's a lot easier, and safer if you're driving, to set up Individual and simply press the physical drive mode button twice.

You don't have to take your eyes off the road.

First press of the button brings up the modes, second press moves down one and selects Individual.
Ah, ok. I was unaware that it scrolled with a 2nd press. Whatever button I press, I have to take my eye off the road. I’ve just got into the habit of swiping and turning off.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.