Goodbye Volvo XC40

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

Dingledog wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:46 am My first one spent more time in the dealers being (not) repaired than I drove it. Eventually they swapped it for a new one which so far has been excellent. They aren't of the quality you'd expect from Volvo that's for sure.
There just shouldn't be that much of a delta from one car to another. It just confirms how shoddy their quality control has been on this vehicle.

mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

It would be great if anyone providing feedback would also mention milage.
1 or 2 years means nothing. You can have as little as 4k per year and as much as 17+.

As for mine expirience, I've bought a 1 year old Selekt car with 4k millage 2 month ago. Now it is almost 6 and apart from the initial small issue, that dealer should have checked before the delivery - expirience is 100% positive.
I am not entirely sure how much you need to drive to wear the breaking pads in two years.
Mine still have 10 to 11 mm on them.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

jagstyles wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:55 pm I purchased the XC40 R-Design back in May 2019 when it first came out. I loved some of the unique features and styling of this vehicle and had high hopes getting into this SUV. However, after 2 1/2 years, I'm done.
Dodgy build quality on the maths me thinks. May 2019 wasn't 2.5 years ago???
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

I got my first edition T5 April 2018, so far so good no issues whatsoever, also had the Polestar upgrade as well.
Now looking to sell as going to try the Polestar 2 , be interesting to see what my car is worth with either private or dealer sale as Polestar don't do p ex.
Was considering the XC40 electric but just too expensive and range too low.
T5 First edition Crystal White
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

blastpipe wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:33 am
jagstyles wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:55 pm I purchased the XC40 R-Design back in May 2019 when it first came out. I loved some of the unique features and styling of this vehicle and had high hopes getting into this SUV. However, after 2 1/2 years, I'm done.
Dodgy build quality on the maths me thinks. May 2019 wasn't 2.5 years ago???
Sorry, that was a typo, got it in May 2018. Fortunately, I was able to sell it to an Audi dealership for the same value as my buyout and didn't have to pay the taxes on the buyout since it was done through wholesale. Now driving a 2021 Q5 and loving it. One thing I do miss about the Volvo is that I found their seats to be among the most comfortable seats I've ever had.

The other small thing is when placing my left arm on the steering wheel I used to be able to rest my elbow on the ledge of the driver door in the volvo, but with the Q5, it's slightly too far away from my elbow preventing me from doing that. I realize these may seem like small things but just a few that I've noticed. The rest of the experience on the Q5 is far superior.
malkyxc40

Post by malkyxc40 »

No problems whatsoever with mine in 19 months / 19000 miles ( except oil level warning issue necessitating oil and filter change by dealer fuss free under warranty ) - see separate thread re. this issue.
Excellent quality, finish, comfort and reliability.
There will always be some bad examples from any manufacturer ( can only speak for myself re. previous Jaguar f pace - no comparison to the superlative xc 40, for less cost)

Of course this is no consolance for those whose experience falls below expectations, but I personally am delighted with xc 40.
MAMM

Post by MAMM »

I’m from Portugal.

The problem is not the breakdowns or anomalies, but the inability or, worse than that, Volvo not to own up to its mistakes and thus solve them. In my case, I bought a new D3 R Design, it's 5 years old, I had the same brake problems, I'm already on the second oil level sensor that breaks down and leaves the driver not knowing if the car has oil or not. I remind you that there is no other way to check the engine oil level.

On the other hand, corrosion has appeared on the load bar of my Volvo and even though Volvo's corrosion warranty is 12 years, the brand says that the load bar is not bodywork. Volvo, in doing so, is deceiving its customers.

Another case is Volvo announcing in Portugal that genuine Volvo parts replaced in the brand's workshops enjoy a lifetime warranty. The problem is that all the parts it replaces were not covered by that warranty, and when I asked Volvo which parts were under warranty, Volvo replied that there is no list of parts covered.

This is what is criticised at Volvo because it makes the customer pay for the resolution of problems that Volvo should be the one to bear. So I fully agree with the beginning of this post, Good bye Volvo.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

So no real issues in 5 years of ownership then.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Ruby12345#

Post by Ruby12345# »

In 2024 it should not be a lottery in how good the car is.. Quality control is not what it should be with some manufacturers, or just a case of a bad worker on the production line..
percymon

Post by percymon »

MAMM wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 pm I’m from Portugal.

The problem is not the breakdowns or anomalies, but the inability or, worse than that, Volvo not to own up to its mistakes and thus solve them. In my case, I bought a new D3 R Design, it's 5 years old, I had the same brake problems, I'm already on the second oil level sensor that breaks down and leaves the driver not knowing if the car has oil or not. I remind you that there is no other way to check the engine oil level.

On the other hand, corrosion has appeared on the load bar of my Volvo and even though Volvo's corrosion warranty is 12 years, the brand says that the load bar is not bodywork. Volvo, in doing so, is deceiving its customers.

Another case is Volvo announcing in Portugal that genuine Volvo parts replaced in the brand's workshops enjoy a lifetime warranty. The problem is that all the parts it replaces were not covered by that warranty, and when I asked Volvo which parts were under warranty, Volvo replied that there is no list of parts covered.

This is what is criticised at Volvo because it makes the customer pay for the resolution of problems that Volvo should be the one to bear. So I fully agree with the beginning of this post, Good bye Volvo.
Your oil level sensor issues are most likely from the oil level being overfilled, or rising with diesel dilution - once the sensor is in contact with the oil its toast. You wont find many modern medium/executive class cars that still have a dipstick

I dont know any OEM that would class accessories under the bodywork warranty.

Whatever brand you move too, good luck.