Orange or sport?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Peter8642

Post by Peter8642 »

My wife has bagged the standard key. The orange key is not set with a speed limit but I can’t find a way of naming its user profile with my name. Instead I’ve linked the sport key to my named profile.

I actually prefer the sport key to carrying a brick in my pocket. My concern is that the manual says its battery is not replaceable.

How long does a sport key battery last? What happens when it runs down? I presume it is possible to start the car by putting it on the special spot on the centre console, but opening the door would require a conventional key which the sport key does not have attached. If I get a conventional key cut using the emergency key from the orange key as a template, would carrying that on a keyring with the sport key give me protection against the battery running down?

Has anyone found an unofficial way to replace a sport key battery?

Is there any mileage in telling the Volvo dealer that we don’t need or want an orange key and asking them to exchange it for a black one?

What do others do?

Pete
2021 XC40 Inscription T5 Recharge, Denim Blue + Blond.
Driver Assist, Lounge, Versatility, Towbar, Spare Wheel and Jack.

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Sports key battery will last around 2 years of usage. The fob is motion sensor equipped, the signal shuts down when the key is stationary, so battery life is prolonged when not in use. You can try replacing the sports key battery yourself, but you’ll lose the waterproof feature. Here’s a quick tutorial:

Deleted User 2507

Post by Deleted User 2507 »

Orange Key automatically assigns profile 2. Although you can't assign it to a driver profile you can still set profile 2 as you need and save via the sensus unit and it works just like a standard key. My wife liked the orange so I dodged that bullet :lol:
TurboNeil

Post by TurboNeil »

blisteringblue wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:25 am Orange Key automatically assigns profile 2. Although you can't assign it to a driver profile you can still set profile 2 as you need and save via the sensus unit and it works just like a standard key. My wife liked the orange so I dodged that bullet :lol:
Didn't know this, thanks.
2021 R Design T5 in Fusion Red.
Cagz

Post by Cagz »

eugen61 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:04 am Sports key battery will last around 2 years of usage. The fob is motion sensor equipped, the signal shuts down when the key is stationary, so battery life is prolonged when not in use. You can try replacing the sports key battery yourself, but you’ll lose the waterproof feature. Here’s a quick tutorial:
Are all the keys have a similar motion sensor or just the sports key ? When we picked up ours, dealer told us to keep the keys somewhere in the house as far as possible from the front of the house to protect against relay attacks. I though a more modern approach is for keys to turn them off as you described here.
T3 R-Design MY21 (without paddles :cry:)
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Depends how new your XC40 is. Is the car you picked up new?

You can open your fob and check the serial number of the unit....there's a thread that gives the exact detail elsewhere on the forum.

The search function is very useful

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=17412#p17405
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Cagz wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:10 pm
eugen61 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:04 am Sports key battery will last around 2 years of usage. The fob is motion sensor equipped, the signal shuts down when the key is stationary, so battery life is prolonged when not in use. You can try replacing the sports key battery yourself, but you’ll lose the waterproof feature. Here’s a quick tutorial:
Are all the keys have a similar motion sensor or just the sports key ? When we picked up ours, dealer told us to keep the keys somewhere in the house as far as possible from the front of the house to protect against relay attacks. I though a more modern approach is for keys to turn them off as you described here.
If you’re concerned buy a faraday pouch to keep the keys in
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Cagz wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:10 pm
Starting with FY2020 all XC40 keys are motion sensor equipped, meaning you don’t need a signal blocker at home. Check your key label next to the serial number, if the number reads HUF8423MS (remote control key / big key, remove plastic cover and key blade to reveal the number) or HUF8432MS (key tag / small key) then it’s motion sensor equipped (MS stands for Motion Sensor).

“Relay-Station-Attack (RSA) countermeasure: when the Tag ID has been stationary without movement for a defined time (timer configurable), the motion sensor will deactivate the LF front end in the Tag ID and will not react to Keyless Entry or Start LF triggers from the vehicle. Only when motion has been detected by the implemented motion sensor, the LF front end of the Tag ID will become active for a defined time” (from user manual).
Cagz

Post by Cagz »

eugen61 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:49 pm
Starting with FY2020 all XC40 keys are motion sensor equipped, meaning you don’t need a signal blocker at home. Check your key label next to the serial number, if the number reads HUF8423MS (remote control key / big key, remove plastic cover and key blade to reveal the number) or HUF8432MS (key tag / small key) then it’s motion sensor equipped (MS stands for Motion Sensor).

“Relay-Station-Attack (RSA) countermeasure: when the Tag ID has been stationary without movement for a defined time (timer configurable), the motion sensor will deactivate the LF front end in the Tag ID and will not react to Keyless Entry or Start LF triggers from the vehicle. Only when motion has been detected by the implemented motion sensor, the LF front end of the Tag ID will become active for a defined time” (from user manual).
This explains it all. Thanks a lot !
T3 R-Design MY21 (without paddles :cry:)
---

Post by --- »

The other thing that you can do, is to take the orange key 'skin' (top and bottom covers off, as if you were doing a battery change), and swap with the ones on the black key.

So your active keys with fully customizable profiles would be the orange key and the sports (water resistant) key.

The black key (with a little orange detail on it, for the key release), would then be your "limited" key instead, kept away safe for rainy days (if the other keys fail) or for when you want to give a key for servicing... :D
MY21 XC40 T5 Twin Engine Recharge
MY21 XC40 T4 Inscription
(MY20 XC40 T4 Inscription, rejected & now returned!)