What overall mark out of ten.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Many visitors to forum are thinking of purchasing an XC40. To help with the decision making process, why don’t we owners mark our particular model out of 10, and give reasons why. I have a MY20 T4 FWD R Design. Pros- looks great and not too many on the roads, engine and gearbox performance excellent, interior finish of high quality, in particular seats very supportive and comfortable. Sensus connect I really like, once I got use to it. Cons - side and rear vision not great, although camera and sensors help, not the biggest boot space, so so fuel economy . Overall a fine car, which I give 8 out of 10.

TechnoNerd

Post by TechnoNerd »

I have owned my XC40 for a total of 35 days. On a scale of 1 to 10, I say my Volvo is a solid 8.5.
I have owned my fair share of vehicles for my age. From econoboxes to estates to Westphalias. American, German, French, Dutch, Italian, British but never Swedish. I always longed to own a SAAB but it never happened. One thing I have learned is that no car is perfect, they all have their quirks and some are what's known as lemons.
And now is my turn with Volvo. Even though it is built in Belgium and the company owned by the Chinese, it definitevely has a Swedish heart and soul. I have read what some owners like and dislike but never something as important as value. Do we get our moneys worth in the XC40? I think so. In my humble opinion there are no other brands/models that are better at the cost/value ratio. I love my XC40!!
Last edited by TechnoNerd on Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
2020 XC40 T5 AWD Momentum, Thunder Grey / Oxide Red Leather (US Specs)
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Love my XC40...with one exception, fuel economy however I didn’t buy it to be the most economic vehicle so 9/10
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

After about two months of ownership, I love my XC40 T3 fwd. It's not perfect, but no car is. It is really comfortable - I have back problems and this car just suits me so well. Fuel consumption is 37.1 mpg on average since I've had the car. On a motorway run, it does mid to upper 40s mpg. I have been trying the various bits of electrickery that came with the car (a five month old ex-demonstrator with 500 miles on the clock when I bought it) and have settled on the following settings:

- collision prevention is switched off;
- lane departure is set to warn me, not steer the car;
- stop/start is switched off;
- auto parking brake is left off (it's a bit too sensitive when manoeuvring, for my liking);
- steering effort is set to medium.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

After driving the car for just over a year, I’m still unable to give it a definitive score. This is because of lockdown (only 2800 miles being completed). I haven’t yet driven the car in all scenarios. If pushed, I’d say the pros are the looks. The car is striking and often gets heads turning, especially as it’s a white T5 RDesign Pro. The white body and black roof draw a striking contrast. The boot is plenty big enough for us and the folding boot floor is particularly helpful. We don’t have a spare wheel so this is great additional space. The interior is well built. The cons are, as most people would say with a T5, the fuel economy is not great. But choice of the most thirsty engine in the range was down to me. The fuel tank is too small. The car has one or two slight rattles. These are made worst due to the harder sports suspension. So I’m going to give it a score of 7.5 - 8.5. This will hopefully change/increase over time. NOTE - we paid just over the £40k mark for our car. During lockdown, many, many hours were spent on YouTube looking at car reviews (particularly the brilliant ‘Harry’s Garage’) and absolutely zero cars are free from niggles and design errors. Cars costing nearly 6 times the cost of my car still only get an 8 out of 10. One particular car, a limited edition Aston, had a removable mechanical clock in the centre of the dash. The clock, a talking point at an expensive party I would have thought, had an automatic winding movement. Due to the movements weight being in the wrong position, it didn’t wind itself up and used to stop working every 36 hours. Clearly not thought out on a £260k car!!!!
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Osborn 46

Post by Osborn 46 »

We have inscription pro d4 only missing heads up otherwise as good as you get ,previous car lexus rx450 ,fantastic vehicle but enjoy xc40 drive more 8.5 out of 10
Bob

Post by Bob »

I've had my XC40 2 years this week. I can't fault it, it's a 10 from me!
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

Great thread and very helpful - thanks. Keep 'em coming.
MY2020 R-Design
skimm

Post by skimm »

I've had myan R-Design Pro, B4 with loads of extras for just over a month

Comfort - 10/10 - cannot fault it, drives like a dream
Design / Head-turning effect - 8.5/10 - it looks absolutely brilliant, stands out compared to competition in its own class, but it's not a Lambo Urus either
Practicality 8/10 - Loads of space in the cabin, storage compartments etc, but the boot is not that big
Infotainment & Tech 8.5/10 - once you've learned all of the functions and connected it to the internet, it's really good, but not perfect though - there's some minor glitches here and there and sat nav looks dated and map view angle doesn't feel right. What really makes a difference is software updates you can do yourself and best in its class safety features.
Economy - 6/10 - even though it's a mild hybrid, it averages 25mpg, which is pretty poor.
Feel Good Factor - 10/10 - despite its shortcomings, I am really happy with it, it grows on me, the more I drive it, the more I like it!

Overall score 8.5 / 10 :)

Would I recommend it? Oh yes! If you're chosing between Merc GLA, BMW X2,Audi Q3 or even RR Evoque or Jaguar E-Pace, then it's a really strong contender, you won't be dissapointed with the XC40.
T5 Twin Engine Plug-in Hybrid, R-Design Pro, Crystal White, Intellisafe Pro, Convenience Pack, Xenium Pack, Winter Plus Pack. Sensus Connect with H&K Sound System, Foldable Tow Bar Feb-20
Db55

Post by Db55 »

Had mine just over 2 years can honestly say it’s a 10 for me ,absolutely no problems worth mentioning ,lovely ride even on 20’s. Yes it’s only getting an average of 30 mpg summer ,28 winter but the performance is there when required. As it’s a first edition it’s fully loaded which makes it a safe and great place to be . Must point out I do drive it mostly like miss Daisy maybe that’s why it hasn’t presented any problems.
T5 FE, osmium grey