Android Automotive

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
sambartlet

Post by sambartlet »

Hi all,

I was planning to pull the trigger on getting an XC40 pretty soon, until I saw that the new Recharge comes with Android Automotive.

I'd be pretty keen on this, but don't want to get a Recharge. I was wondering if anyone's heard anything on either when Android Automotive will make it onto normal XC40s, or how difficult it would be to retrofit?

Cheers,

Sam

NitramA

Post by NitramA »

Can’t see it happening.
Historically car manufacturers install an infotainment system and what you see is what you get. There’s very little development performed retrospectively. They just want you to buy a new car and an updated infotainment system will be one of the tools they use.

I think Android Automotive will be the USP for electric cars in the range to differentiate them from “normal” cars.

I also think it’s baked into the car design so can’t see an easy aftermarket install.

But then if I’m wrong add me to the list of potential buyers! 😀
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I have a different view. I believe you will see all new XC40s come standard with it very soon (retrofit would be prohibitively expensive and, unless done/approved by Volvo, your car wouldn't benefit from OTA updates).

Can't find a link at present but, Volvo were quoted in the media as saying that it would be introduced in the following order:

1) Polestar
2) Current CMA models
3) All future models, including SPA

They have been saying it's the way forward since 2017:

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/ ... infotainme

And have confirmed that SPA-2 (LIDAR) models will come in 2022. It therefore follows that all CMA models will start getting it sometime between now and 2022

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/ ... lf-driving
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

So I’m half right then 😂😂

Will be interesting to see when it’s introduced and what the available power trains will be when they do.
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

My thoughts is that we won’t see this change until the models are refreshed, and then tends to be after 4 or 5 years from when the car first appeared. The Xc90 is the first, XC60 next and then Xc40. So I would expect the xc40 to be updated in 2023.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Bit of clarification here as this link actually purports to directly quote Volvo and, as well as confirming CMA will be before SPA, actually says it will be on ALL models, even before SPA-2 (SPA-2 was quoted then as 2021 but now said as 2022 - either slipped or difference in nominal MY as opposed to actual year*):

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/volv ... olestar-2/

* Edit: Or poss one & the same thing?? This link says before 2021 *launch* - previous link referred to SPA-2 *production* (2022)
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera