The 2.0 engine - is it unrefined?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hey

The more I drive, and I don’t drive a lot at the moment, I find the T5 engine to be harsh and noisy. Anyone else found this? My other previous cars (Mini JCW and Shogun V6), both now sold, seemed to have much smoother, quieter engines. Obviously the V6 would naturally be smoother.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

Bob

Post by Bob »

No, I'm very happy with mine. I think it is quieter than my old Audi Q3 2.0 Petrol, if I was sat in the study in front of the house, I always knew when my wife was coming up the drive, the Q3 sounded like a diesel!
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I'm very happy with mine too very surprised you think a mini is smoother .. Not in my experience.

I find it very refined.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hmm, ok. I’ve only got 1420 on the clock so perhaps it’s still loosening up🤞
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
G4a

Post by G4a »

I think it's noisy too. Thought I'd picked up a diesel by mistake at first. Fine at cruising speed though.
R-Design Pro T4 Awd
Handyman

Post by Handyman »

I was very happy with my T4 even before the latest software update, the software update has improved the drive train all round, even quieter and smoother, very impressive. :D :D :D :D :D
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Don’t get me wrong, when you’re cruising it’s fine. It’s when you accelerate hard (not even hard sometimes). I would have thought that the turbo would make for a quieter ride.
gt40

Post by gt40 »

Yeah, I think it's a bit rough up the top end. Don't go there that much so doesn't bother me, and it adds to the occasion when I do.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
Db55

Post by Db55 »

Yes I tend to agree ,when/if you are accelerating hard it tends to be a tad gruff. But as has been said in normal use it’s fine.
T5 FE, osmium grey
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

In my opinion in the vast majority of driving conditions it is quiet and refined, comparing very well with V6 cars I have owned in the past.As others have said though once you get into the higher rev range a certain harshness does develop.Not surprising really given it is only a 4 pot 2 litre that is capable of propelling a 1600 kg brick of an SUV along with hot hatch performance.
Nice to see a look of surprise on the odd boy racer's face if you want to have a bit of fun occasionally.
T5 R Design Pro AWD in Bursting Blue with Xenium, Winter Plus, Intellisafe and Convenience packs