Black plastic "things" directly above the air vents on the dashboard.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Gray1969

Post by Gray1969 »

Hi all,

Right this is probably going to look ridiculously stupid but here goes.......... anyone know what the black plastic things are directly above the two outside air vents on the dash are?
Ive looked everywhere online and in the manual, but unless Im missing something I can't seem to find any info.

Probably something obvious, Im guessing something to do with the vents themselves?

Cheers.
T4 Auto R design in Onyx black, 19" alloys, winter pack and convenience pack, front parking sensors.

Trafford

Post by Trafford »

Maybe the Subwoofer?
Starstruck

Post by Starstruck »

They are deflectors to direct the air coming out of the vents onto the window !!

Made of cheap and nasty plastic, poorly/sharply molded, as are many other parts of this so called "premium" brand of car.

Sharp edges on rear lights, door trim, Sharp points on bottom of door etc etc. Wires visible under seats. Rear facing air ports under seats looking like they come off a cheap toy, not held or braced, kickable by rear passengers. Could have been so much better.

Can you tell I'm not impressed?

Here on Amazon you can buy a shiny plastic surround to the vent to further enhance its plastickiness 😀. And it's only £30

Perky

Post by Perky »

Starstruck wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:50 pm They are deflectors to direct the air coming out of the vents onto the window !!

Made of cheap and nasty plastic, poorly/sharply molded, as are many other parts of this so called "premium" brand of car.

Sharp edges on rear lights, door trim, Sharp points on bottom of door etc etc. Wires visible under seats. Rear facing air ports under seats looking like they come off a cheap toy, not held or braced, kickable by rear passengers. Could have been so much better.

Here on Amazon you can buy a shiny plastic surround to the vent to further enhance its plastickiness 😀. And it's only £30

I didn't know that some parts were cheaper and poorer quality than others, my whole car feels cheap despite the price tag. Just found out today that the front wings of the car are poorly finished; the metal at the back is exposed at the gap with the door.

We have only ourselves to blame of course. The manufacturers try to get away with what they can on the cheap side but only the customers make it possible for them by purchasing their products despite the flaws.
T4 AWD Oct 2019
Trafford

Post by Trafford »

Starstruck wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:50 pm They are deflectors to direct the air coming out of the vents onto the window !!

All your points are spot on
Starstruck

Post by Starstruck »

Perky wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:55 am

I didn't know that some parts were cheaper and poorer quality than others, my whole car feels cheap despite the price tag. Just found out today that the front wings of the car are poorly finished; the metal at the back is exposed at the gap with the door.

We have only ourselves to blame of course. The manufacturers try to get away with what they can on the cheap side but only the customers make it possible for them by purchasing their products despite the flaws.
I'm not seeing the front wing issue on my RDesign. I see that the rear of the wings are coloured silver grey and look metallic but on tapping it seems this surface is plastic.

Is this what you are seeing as exposed metal?

I like the car but am a little disappointed in the finish here and there.
Gray1969

Post by Gray1969 »

Bloody hell lads, you are starting to put me on a downer with my new car!!

Cheer up its nearly christmas....... :D

Getting back to the "plastic things" - Im not convinced they are to deflect heat onto the windows, you can do that with the actual air vent by physically pointing them at the windows, I think Ive even read somewhere in the manual that that is what you should do anyway.

Will have a look again tomorrow, but can't find info anywhere online.
T4 Auto R design in Onyx black, 19" alloys, winter pack and convenience pack, front parking sensors.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Can’t you just close all the air vents, put the fan up high and hold a small strip of Kleenex if front of the ‘bit of plastic’. If the Kleenex moves, it’s an air vent and if it doesn’t, it’s not. Simples.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Starstruck

Post by Starstruck »

It's an air vent; air comes out. The plastic surround deflects the air where it should go - up onto the screen and sideways onto the side window.

I was thinking of looking for further details in my rocket science book, but decided not as I doubt the reason will be in there.
Perky

Post by Perky »

Starstruck wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:50 pm
I'm not seeing the front wing issue on my RDesign. I see that the rear of the wings are coloured silver grey and look metallic but on tapping it seems this surface is plastic.

Is this what you are seeing as exposed metal?

I like the car but am a little disappointed in the finish here and there.

I should have explained better; if you look behind the edge of the front wing through the gap when the door is open, you will see that the metal is sticking out (inwards) with no protection. It should be flat or rounded off, at least all my previous cars were.

I like most of the features of the car but at this price point the finish and quality feel are unacceptable in my opinion. To me it doesn't feel like a premium/ luxury brand, perhaps it is not meant to be and I have misunderstood.
T4 AWD Oct 2019