Wireless Carplay Solved

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
alanplum241276

Post by alanplum241276 »

Ian333 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:39 pm
Thanks Alan,

Think I’ll go for it as an early Christmas pressie!!

Cheers, Ian
Ian,

When you get it...during the Bluetooth initial pairing...make sure you select Mode 3 on the dongle. It will show the mode in the top right of the sensus display. Comes set in mode 1, but click the words mode on the screen to go to 3 and you’re sorted.
MY20 T4 R-Design Pro FWD in Crystal White. Intellisafe Pro, Xenium Pack, Apple CarPlay, Spare Wheel

gt40

Post by gt40 »

It's Bluetooth connected? There's a reason why Apple & Google haven't implemented Bluetooth connections as an option for their respective integrations and that's because the data throughput is insufficient for all the functions of carplay/android auto. Possibly the delay in voice calls mentioned is a symptom of that.

Personally, I'd be cautious.

Edit - just revisited the link and it's a combination of Bluetooth & WiFi, so probably ok. I'll leave this here rather than deleting in case it's worth a discussion.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
alanplum241276

Post by alanplum241276 »

Yes as you’ve discovered, Bluetooth is only used for the initial connection to tell the iPhone the WiFi details. Bluetooth immediately disconnects and CarPlay is initiated over WiFi.
MY20 T4 R-Design Pro FWD in Crystal White. Intellisafe Pro, Xenium Pack, Apple CarPlay, Spare Wheel
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

alanplum241276 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:20 pm Yes as you’ve discovered, Bluetooth is only used for the initial connection to tell the iPhone the WiFi details. Bluetooth immediately disconnects and CarPlay is initiated over WiFi.
So, that means we can't use the phone's internet then, right? I feel for many this will be a massive dealbreaker, i know for me it is
OneOff

Post by OneOff »

Surely on the move the phone receives its "Internet" via the telephone network not via WiFi
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

What i'm trying to say is that IF the phone communicates over wifi to the carplay dongle, than the 4g (3g for the unlucky) won't work. As the phone can't communicate across two channels at the same time. it's the same with my dashcam, if i connect to it over wifi i either need to wait 10 mins for the wifi to turn off on the camera, or go to settings and "forget network" to revert to 4g
alanplum241276

Post by alanplum241276 »

Yes, if you are using wireless carplay, then your internet can only come from 4G on the phone as the wifi is used for the carplay communication. This is pretty much how apple designed it. Same in BMW's which have factory wireless carplay.

Obviously the 4G hotspot from the cars P-SIM is still available for use for things like dashcams etc, just not the phone connected via wireless carplay. I have 100GB a month with EE on my phone so not an issue for me.
alanplum241276

Post by alanplum241276 »

Just to be clear.....the 4G on the phone WILL work when connected wireless to the dongle. But you cannot say, connect sensus to use your phones data whilst using the dongle.
OneOff

Post by OneOff »

ciuncky wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:32 am What i'm trying to say is that IF the phone communicates over wifi to the carplay dongle, than the 4g (3g for the unlucky) won't work. As the phone can't communicate across two channels at the same time. it's the same with my dashcam, if i connect to it over wifi i either need to wait 10 mins for the wifi to turn off on the camera, or go to settings and "forget network" to revert to 4g
Of course it will, 4g in, WiFi to the dongle. How do you think a WiFi hotspot from your phone works? 4g comes into the phone and WiFi hotspot comes out of the phone.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

OneOff wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:04 pm
ciuncky wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:32 am What i'm trying to say is that IF the phone communicates over wifi to the carplay dongle, than the 4g (3g for the unlucky) won't work. As the phone can't communicate across two channels at the same time. it's the same with my dashcam, if i connect to it over wifi i either need to wait 10 mins for the wifi to turn off on the camera, or go to settings and "forget network" to revert to 4g
Of course it will, 4g in, WiFi to the dongle. How do you think a WiFi hotspot from your phone works? 4g comes into the phone and WiFi hotspot comes out of the phone.
Yeah, that's a fair point re: hotspot. Not sure how the dashcam acts then, but i was half-expecting it will be the same with the dongle.