Wireless Carplay Solved

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
alanplum241276

Post by alanplum241276 »

All,

I've seen a few threads on Wireless Apple CarPlay and how Volvo don't support it.

I've purchased this.....and it works perfectly in my XC40.

It was a bit of a gamble, but one that I was prepared to take. I was most surprised when it just worked.

https://carplay2air.com/products/cplaystreamer-wireless-adapter-for-factory-carplay-android-auto-module-and-mirror-link-feature

It requires that you ALREADY have carplay enabled in your car, this just makes it wireless.

It's different to the ones from CarLinkIT, and it does not require an android head unit. Volvo is listed as supported.

I am not affiliated in any way with these guys, just wanted to let you know it works and am happy to answer any questions about it.

I tried it in my wifes SEAT Ibiza and it kinda works.....but not as smooth as the XC40.

I can only answer any Q's on Apple, not Android I'm afraid.
MY20 T4 R-Design Pro FWD in Crystal White. Intellisafe Pro, Xenium Pack, Apple CarPlay, Spare Wheel

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Thanks for sharing. At 159 sheets, I’ll continue to use a cable. Looks a nice bit of kit though.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Ian333

Post by Ian333 »

I’m really tempted with this as plugging a cable in seems so old fashioned!!

At around £125 though it is a bit of a gamble as you suggest...

Can you let me know anything more about the device to help me decide? 🤔
Ordered T5 R-Design Pro with most of the bells and whistles in early May ‘18 and received delivery at end of Jan ‘19
Very Happy 😃... especially now it’s Polestarred
Gray1969

Post by Gray1969 »

Right, I've had a few drinks and might look stupid here.

Ive got an iPhone, I have Amazon music, can I plug my iPhone in with a cable and play amazon music through the system?

I need to do some research now i actually have the car, but what does apple car play give you that plugging your phone in via cable doesn't? (apologies)
T4 Auto R design in Onyx black, 19" alloys, winter pack and convenience pack, front parking sensors.
alanplum241276

Post by alanplum241276 »

Ian333 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:57 pm I’m really tempted with this as plugging a cable in seems so old fashioned!!

Ian,

It’s not a gamble for you if you have an XC40 with wired CarPlay. It works.

It was a gamble for me as I didn’t know if it would work or not...but it does.

I’ve been running with it for 3 days and everything seems great. The only thing I’ve noticed is there is a small delay with phone calls. It’s weird to explain but after you finish talking there is a small delay before you hear the response.

Music, messages, maps etc all work fine.
MY20 T4 R-Design Pro FWD in Crystal White. Intellisafe Pro, Xenium Pack, Apple CarPlay, Spare Wheel
alanplum241276

Post by alanplum241276 »

Gray1969 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:02 pm Right, I've had a few drinks and might look stupid here.

Ive got an iPhone, I have Amazon music, can I plug my iPhone in with a cable and play amazon music through the system?

I need to do some research now i actually have the car, but what does apple car play give you that plugging your phone in via cable doesn't? (apologies)
I don’t have amazon music, but you would need to check if the amazon music app is CarPlay compatible. If it is, then yes, you can play amazon music via CarPlay.

Just checked...seems it does...

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/21/amazon-music-ios-app-now-supports-carplay/
alanplum241276

Post by alanplum241276 »

I’ll see if I can record a video of it in my car. I’ll try post to you tube.
alanplum241276

Post by alanplum241276 »

It’s freezing outside and I apologise for the video being a bit knaff as I recorded it on my iPad.

Hopefully you can see how the wireless CarPlay dongle works in this video.

gt40

Post by gt40 »

On the Android Auto side, does anyone know if the wireless function works on the XC40? I've got a compatible phone - might give it a try over the next day or two.

Details: https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/6348029?hl=en
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
Ian333

Post by Ian333 »

alanplum241276 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:48 pm
Ian333 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:57 pm I’m really tempted with this as plugging a cable in seems so old fashioned!!

Ian,

It’s not a gamble for you if you have an XC40 with wired CarPlay. It works.

It was a gamble for me as I didn’t know if it would work or not...but it does.

I’ve been running with it for 3 days and everything seems great. The only thing I’ve noticed is there is a small delay with phone calls. It’s weird to explain but after you finish talking there is a small delay before you hear the response.

Music, messages, maps etc all work fine.
Thanks Alan,

Think I’ll go for it as an early Christmas pressie!!

Cheers, Ian
Ordered T5 R-Design Pro with most of the bells and whistles in early May ‘18 and received delivery at end of Jan ‘19
Very Happy 😃... especially now it’s Polestarred