What have you just found out about your XC40.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

I have an auto box. If I am stopped and in either D or R I can just press the ignition button and the parking brake is automatically applied, P is selected and the engine switched off. If I am in Neutral I can't do this, I have to select P first. Don't understand why there is a difference.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18

USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

In the manual it says:

"To switch off the car:
Press the start button - the car is switched off.

If the gear selector for cars with an automatic gearbox is not in position P or if the car rolls:

Press the start button and hold it depressed until the car is switched off".

So what happens if you press and hold down the ignition button?
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

balmoral wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:32 pm I have an auto box. If I am stopped and in either D or R I can just press the ignition button and the parking brake is automatically applied, P is selected and the engine switched off. If I am in Neutral I can't do this, I have to select P first. Don't understand why there is a difference.
In some circumstances you would want to push the car without the engine being on. If the car was in park you wouldn't be able to push it.

By going into N and switching off the car remains in N enabling it to be pushed.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

From what i noticed, if you get the car to P the engine will shut down via a short press (and parking break applied).
If you're still in D or R, you need to press long so it switches to P, applies parking break and then switches off.

However, lately i just slip my finger over the P button to put it in park, then just open the door. It will apply parking break on its own (if set to) and turn of engine. It's the fastest way, i don't think i turned off the engine manually in nearly a month.

Side note: If doing it via the above method, it's assumed you leave the car so infotainment gets turned off too.
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

ciuncky wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:07 am From what i noticed, if you get the car to P the engine will shut down via a short press (and parking break applied).
If you're still in D or R, you need to press long so it switches to P, applies parking break and then switches off.

However, lately i just slip my finger over the P button to put it in park, then just open the door. It will apply parking break on its own (if set to) and turn of engine. It's the fastest way, i don't think i turned off the engine manually in nearly a month.

Side note: If doing it via the above method, it's assumed you leave the car so infotainment gets turned off too.

If you long press it doesn't switch to P. You have to press P at that point. It remains in N. So you can push the car.
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

USERof XC40 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 am
ciuncky wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:07 am From what i noticed, if you get the car to P the engine will shut down via a short press (and parking break applied).

If you long press it doesn't switch to P. You have to press P at that point. It remains in N. So you can push the car.
Sorry, my apologies. I misread your post; I thought you were answering a previous one about being in N when switching off.
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

USERof XC40 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:55 am
balmoral wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:32 pm I have an auto box. If I am stopped and in either D or R I can just press the ignition button and the parking brake is automatically applied, P is selected and the engine switched off. If I am in Neutral I can't do this, I have to select P first. Don't understand why there is a difference.
In some circumstances you would want to push the car without the engine being on. If the car was in park you wouldn't be able to push it.

By going into N and switching off the car remains in N enabling it to be pushed.
Haven't had the chance to test it but your explanation sounds very logical to me. So a long press when in N will switch the engine off but leave the car in neutral -makes sense! Thanks
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
Cjwye

Post by Cjwye »

Just realised that you can lock and unlock using keyless from rear passenger doors
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

And my first proper contribution to this thread!

I found out it's actually super easy to get the car to connect to your hotspot over bluetooth. All i had to do on iOS 13 (possibly on older versions too, but i already had 13 beta when i took delivery of the car). was to turn on Allow Others to Join under Hotspot settings. I don't explicitly remember seeing this on iOS 12 though, and hotspot on/off was done through the control center.

This is of great help as i've read so many posts re: the free Vodafone SIM, and i didn't have it installed yet so i will just drop that and will stick with the on-board one which is really good for remote start, lock, etc.

Of course, you'd have to have bluetooth on, but if you listen to music etc and don't want to connect via CarPlay then it's natural to be on anyway.

PSA: check setting after iOS updates; 13.1.2 turned it off by default so i had to turn on again.
Sorry, no idea about Android!
PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

The car has very sharp plastic edges in places. Bottom of door, door frame, edges of rear lights. Poor quality plastic moulds and processes. Never had anything as poor quality as this in my previous car (VW Golf). Passenger cut her calf on the door's sharp point getting out of the car the other day.