What have you just found out about your XC40.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Tangsoodo

Post by Tangsoodo »

I’ve only just used my jets to wash the wind screen tonight and discovered it comes out of the wipers. Just thought it was quite cool

gabes1982

Post by gabes1982 »

I discovered the sound quality of the in-build Spotify App is substantially better than streaming via Bluetooth (understandable) but also compare to the USB connection using Android Auto (why!) For reference the music is download into my phone using the very high setting.

My car has the standard 8 speaker system, and with the in-build Spotify streaming High and Extreme, the sound quality is vastly improved terms of clarity and defined bass. It's like a complete upgraded system.

Oddly enough the DAB sound quality is not that much better than FM which is a bit disappointing.
PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

DAB is a digital transmission and can't be better than FM which is analogue. It may be better in terms of clarity and lack of hiss etc but FM will beat DAB anyday in terms of musical clarity.

Bluetooth transmissions are limited in a similar manner, they just don't carry the full range as would mobile signal via the SIM.

USB should be best
gabes1982

Post by gabes1982 »

PeeBee wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:54 pm DAB is a digital transmission and can't be better than FM which is analogue. It may be better in terms of clarity and lack of hiss etc but FM will beat DAB anyday in terms of musical clarity.

Bluetooth transmissions are limited in a similar manner, they just don't carry the full range as would mobile signal via the SIM.

USB should be best
you're 100% right... I thought DAB+ would provide robust reception over FM, which it does, but I then realise it's being broadcast with a bit rate of 128kbit/s or even 64kbit/s, no wonder it sounds so average.

USB should be the best, but strangely it sounds no better than Bluetooth to my ears. It still sounds compressed to me. Maybe it's the cable or more plausible down to how the phone interacts with Android Auto on sensus.

I will need to plug my USB with some FLAC files and see if the speakers can reveal even more.
Current chariot - XC40 R-Design Black Stone
Gone but not forgotten - Peugeot 306xt, Polo Gti 6R, Megane RS265 Cup
PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

I've not done to much investigation as yet. I've tried Spotify (on a 3 month free deal for Premium), pity it doesn't accept a free account. And I've tried the TuneIn app. Tend to listen to DAB and my USB memory stick the most. Not Flac as yet 'cause all my music is MP3.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

I have Spotify Premium on Extreme setting with Harman Kardon system. The sound quality varies, and I think that's mostly due to the source album. I don't know which edition is taken, but some songs sound good, and some dull -- comparing to my home stereo system that costs twice the cost of XC40 :)
Car acoustics is good, Dirac probably performed some EQ at the factory, so overall sound is balanced. Not very sharp, not very detailed, but for the price I can't complain
drjamesr

Post by drjamesr »

Mileage and days to next service are home screen, right swipe, car status, appointments
XC40 Inscription, D4 AWD, Pine Grey, black leather faced, 19” double spoke #924, Xenium, Intellisense surround, Winter/Htd wheel, Spare wheel
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

What have I just discovered about this otherwise excellent car?
- I can't tell if the headlights are on or off in daylight (there's no green light in the dashboard display other than the little one that's always on); this is the first car I've ever owned that doesn't have it - and in fog or spray it's vital for safety to know whether the headlights are actually switched on or not (they are normally on the Auto setting).
- The reversing light is virtually useless for illuminating a dark driveway.
- The Pilot Assist and the Adaptive cruise control settings (on/off) can not be linked to the driver profile, so because my wife and I have different preferences we both have to check or reset them every time we use the car.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

Went out in the dark for the first time this evening. Had to turn the brightness down on everything!!! All I could see was the displays, ambient, footwells. What was happing out there on the road? Who knows!!.

Ok now the interior is dimmed.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Gnomeface wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:03 am What have I just discovered about this otherwise excellent car?
- I can't tell if the headlights are on or off in daylight (there's no green light in the dashboard display other than the little one that's always on); this is the first car I've ever owned that doesn't have it - and in fog or spray it's vital for safety to know whether the headlights are actually switched on or not (they are normally on the Auto setting).
What i did was set up a really bright instrument/menu display, and pretty dim for night mode. This way i can see really good in very bright days (of which aren't many!) and it's dim enough not to distract when it's dark outside.

The menu switching from day to night is a very good give-away regarding your headlight status :)