Rain sensing wipers

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Blastpipe

Rain sensing wipers

Post by Blastpipe » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:31 pm

The rain sensing wipers were fine on the car for a while but of late they have started going faster and faster even though it is hardly raining. I've now gone back to manually controlling them..how quaint. The car is due to go in for its 3 months check shortly so will get it looked at....but anyone else had anything similar?
T4 Auto AWD R Design Bursting Blue. Winterpack with heated screen, Intellisafe Surround, Heated steering wheel, Parking camera 360, front park assist, Tempa spare wheel, keyless drive and wireless phone charger

Wedgie

Re: Rain sensing wipers

Post by Wedgie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:00 am

Have you accidentally adjusted them, you can alter their sensitivity

Blastpipe

Post by Blastpipe » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:44 pm

HI Wedgie

I've tried adjusting them on the stalk and it seems to make little difference when they decide to go manic. They start off ok but after a short while they get faster and faster even if the rain has stopped
T4 Auto AWD R Design Bursting Blue. Winterpack with heated screen, Intellisafe Surround, Heated steering wheel, Parking camera 360, front park assist, Tempa spare wheel, keyless drive and wireless phone charger

kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:20 pm

Blastpipe wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:44 pm
HI Wedgie

I've tried adjusting them on the stalk and it seems to make little difference when they decide to go manic. They start off ok but after a short while they get faster and faster even if the rain has stopped
Wonder if it's a recent software thing as I got mine back from the dealer on Monday, and yesterday I thought the same thing - seemed to get VERY fast then just stick there. Turn off then on- go back to sensible
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" (no washers) - D4 AWD Auto - GOT!! Fri 18th May!!!!
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)

alanlaughton

Post by alanlaughton » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:52 pm

They can go fast if there is light drizzle - my Boxster did the same - presumably it counts particles rather than their size! Big blobs of rain falling slowly doesn't make them wipe often but a bit of drizzle and they go into warp drive :)

bdalameda

Post by bdalameda » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:14 pm

The rain sensor works by refraction of light through the glass. It also can be fooled by a dirty windshield where the sensor is located behind the rear view mirror.

Return to “Faults & Technical”