Unusual screenwash consumption

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

The screen washers only squirt in short bursts. If you hold the stalk you can hear and see the bursts of water.

I've only filled mine once in around 5000 miles...
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21

ropetko

Post by ropetko »

I do have headlight washers and last winter I had to refill the full tank after only a month of driving (often rides through the mountain highway with lots of rain and spray)! As the spring arrived I did a refill after 3 months so I set up the reminder in my tracking app. The reminder is for the refill every 4 months and now it's been exactly 5 months after the last refill when I got the notification on the dashboard. Yes, I was worried that doing refill every other month is too much, but obviously I didn't use washers that often during summer. I live in Croatia, by the seaside in the town that has more rain per square meter than London, but we still have a lot of sunny days.
The thing is that headlight washers are only active when there are headlamps active too. So, if you're washing your windscreen at noon, there will be not a drop of washer fluid wasted on your headlights. But at night, approx. every 4th or 5th squirt will also generate a nice splash on your headlights. Days are shorter during winter, so that's also the reason why we are spending more screen washing liquid during winter time, not just because of wet roads and rain.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018