XC-40 performance in heavy snow

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Gherd

Post by Gherd »

Coming from a Land Rover Discovery 3 I am missing a snow specific drive mode.

The XC40 i sometimes a bit slow in reacting to grip loss at high speed or tight turns.

Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Gherd wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:14 amThe XC40 i sometimes a bit slow in reacting to grip loss at high speed or tight turns.
Slow down? Surely high speed in snow isn't the greatest of driving approaches
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
Gherd

Post by Gherd »

I have been driving my Land Rover Disco3 in the mountains for 13 years and it has a specific snow setting that makes a big difference.

When I am talking about “high speed” I mean normal reasonable speed.

The esp should have a specific setting like Land Rover, Ford, Peugeot and many others with a little bit more aggressive intervention to control the car better.

3B32D04C-317A-4DD8-900E-BC13F50B7A7A.jpeg

078A75B3-2308-4961-99C3-BA2394528B07.jpeg

Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

For what it's worth, the owners' manual states that off-road mode is not designed to be used on public roads. The manual also makes no reference to this mode being appropriate for snow and ice, stating only that it maximises traction in difficult terrain and on poor roads. From a very brief experiment in my T4 AWD it seemed to put the gearbox into a lower gear at 15/20mph than it did in comfort mode. Generally, on very low friction surfaces it is best to be in the highest gear the car will tolerate, so all-in-all, I'm not convinced that off-road mode is best for use on snow and ice. I have a 'full-fat' Range Rover which has a specific mode for these conditions which is noticeably different from some of its other off-road modes. The biggest difference of all come from using winter tyres over summer tyres. The latest generation of all-season tyres come pretty close, and if I didn't live in a remote part of the Scottish highlands I'm sure they would be good enough.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

I do agree with you Gherd - an on road Snow mode would be used far more often than a speed limited off-road mode - it does seem an odd omission, especially if installed on non-premium manufacturers models.
johnd

Post by johnd »

James Blonde wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:48 pm I do agree with you Gherd - an on road Snow mode would be used far more often than a speed limited off-road mode
Why not provide both modes? It's surely just another combination of suspension and drivetrain settings.
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Depending what off-road mode does (not looked into it), then eco will be the best as that'll keep engine revs low. If I have that much issue that neither mode works then I'll just switch it to manual gears and control it myself.

I've managed to control a high revving FWD sporty car with wide summer tyres on through snow up hills when most people were getting stuck in more capable cars. Driver skill and knowledge will always be better than modes, they're only a tool after all and personally think drivers are generally getting too reliant on modes and driver aids etc.
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
elysio

Post by elysio »

Here are my observations when running off road mode:
- Speed limited to 40km/hr
- Transmission stays in lower gears
- Much slower throttle response

I think in theory that makes off road mode quite good for snow because it has more engine breaking due to lower gears, and the slower throttle response prevents you from accelerating too aggressively. Unfortunately it's limited in speed and therefore not that useful on normal roads. I too wish they have a dedicated snow mode in their drive mode selection.
Tyson

Post by Tyson »

Got a D4 Polestarred in white with 20 inch wheels. Can't wait for a snow drive to test it out. My last Volvo was a 2005 S60 and that was terrible in the snow, funnily enough.