Nice dashcam with safety camera alerts

The place to discuss everything else..
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Thanks for pic. I see the cable connector angles the wrong way - I like the flush fitting of the original cable so will prob source a decent cigar lighter splitter.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera

Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Yeah couldn't find one with the right angle the other way and thought it was still better than it sticking out 90°

Wouldn't be an issue if Garmin used usb type c as that goes in either way so could angle both directions
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

Thanks Shaenei. Really is a tidy little unit, and the sticky disc is nice and small too.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
mfbarros

Post by mfbarros »

I wish I could have one a dashcam. However I made my car to be bulletproof. Therefore, it’s not allowed to have anything added and supported to the windshield. Because the inner part of any bulletproof window is of polycarbonate which can be damaged by things add that to it. Even films are not good as they can compromise the lifespan of these windows.
I am looking for a dashcam which can be put in the dashboard and looks nice. Most of them do not fit very well on dashboard. My next try will be nonda zus.
Should anyone have a good idea or have already tried to put a dash in the dashboard please let me know. For some cars dashcam can be put on the mirror but in our XC40 it’s not properly adapted because of the Intellisafe system.
abby606

Post by abby606 »

mfbarros wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:35 pm Because the inner part of any bulletproof window is of polycarbonate which can be damaged by things add that to it.
I'm no materials expert but the sticky pads for dashcam mounts and the wire clips (at least for my Blackvue) are 3M VHB pads, with 3M listing bonding polycarbonate to various substrates as one of the typical uses. Perhaps there are certain materials you could use for a normal dashcam install?
sanjaime

Post by sanjaime »

Offer today from Halfords for the Garmin 55 Plus at £119.20 - after the 20% discount from their Halfords eBay UK shop, so placed an order.
The June 2019 20% discount code of PURE20 ends tomorrow though.
Hope the Garmin 55 Plus will be a neat install as shown in the earlier photo.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

sanjaime wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:35 pm Hope the Garmin 55 Plus will be a neat install as shown in the earlier photo.
Even neater if you buy the hardwire cable............plus you then benefit from parking mode.

Let me know if you want any tips on which fuse slots to use (I used spare slots, so no danger of probs with existing circuits).
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

Silver Moose wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:22 pm
sanjaime wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:35 pm Hope the Garmin 55 Plus will be a neat install as shown in the earlier photo.
Even neater if you buy the hardwire cable............plus you then benefit from parking mode.

Let me know if you want any tips on which fuse slots to use (I used spare slots, so no danger of probs with existing circuits).
Yes Carl, I plan to hardwire a cam, need fuse slots for permanent live & earth plus an ignition on. Thank you.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

In short (bad pun :lol:) fuses 12 & 86 (if you don't have 4C).

The power flow direction through the fuse box means the correct orientation for piggy backs is with the tails pointing up. As you won't be able to get the lid down this way, I recommend you DON'T piggy back existing circuits. If you do, you'll place the original fuse in series & add extra load to it.

For me, 12 & 86 were unused, so I put piggy backs in with a 20A fuse in bottom slot & 5A (didn't have any 3A) in top. For the earth, I used the mounting bolt for fuse box - see photo.

There's more detail in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1010&hilit=Permanent+live

IMG_20190626_191615.jpg

Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Hi all

rather than setting up yet another dashcam thread, i thought i'd piggy back this one with all due respect to OP :)

i've ordered an RDesign and was thinking about dashcams. on my current Mazda 3 i have a Blackvue 650s dual ch of which i'm very happy, and was considering the same for the volvo. well, the upgraded 750 as 650 is out of production.

currently it's hardwired (including the magic pro to cut off power when under specific voltage) but it draws so much power that the Start Stop function only really works a few days a year, when it's super nice and hot and i've been driving for a long while.

is the same the case with Volvo? I imagine it's a bit more juice in there seeing as they come with 2 batteries. so basically, do i have to trade the start stop function for dashcam safety? FOr the record both cars are petrol, though i've seen the 900 series on a diesel doing just fine.

finally, when taking it to be installed, which battery should they use? main or small one?
thanks!