Carpet/Parcel Shelf Fibre?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Jaolchhu4

Post by Jaolchhu4 »

I'm not sure if this is just me, but I've got to the point where I need to wear gloves to remove the rear parcel shelf as the fibre material (I presume it is made from recycled plastic or the like) often lodge in my my fingers and hands. I remember having the same issue when I sat in a demonstrator and rubbed my hand in the door pocket area.

It's like fibre glass in my hand and not a pleasant experience. It's certainly was not what I was expecting from a relatively expensive car. I'm not sure if this is limited to the R Design Pro model?

Does anyone else similarly 'suffer'?
XC40 D4 FE Stone Black 20" Alloys

libbers

Post by libbers »

YES! Although I’ve only just realised this after reading your post.

Last week I did a tip run and after storing the parcel shelf and loading the car with rubbish, I had what felt like splinters or a sharp pins and needles sensation in both hands. At the time I’d assumed it was something from the material I’d put in the car, but was surprised as it was mainly cardboard and a few other bits. I suspect it probably was the parcel shelf now.
T4 R-Design Pro | Bursting Blue | Convinience, Xenium, Intellisafe Surround & HK Sound | Ordered 30 April, Collected 19 December 🎉
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Yes, the material of the parcel shelf is awful
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
Jaolchhu4

Post by Jaolchhu4 »

It's extremely unpleasant. I can still feel some of the fibres in my hand this morning!
XC40 D4 FE Stone Black 20" Alloys
Bonnieballoo

Post by Bonnieballoo »

Me too. I thought at first it was a fibre glass bag I’d used for the tip. But every time I touch the damn shelf I get splinters in my fingers like tiny shards and spikes

This has got to be a design/material fault. I keep some gloves in the boot and avoid touching it.

Mines the First Edition.
Spaceryder

Post by Spaceryder »

Glad I read this as I'm experiencing exactly the same thing and I thought I was going mad. Agree, it is an extremely unpleasant sensation and I suspect I'll have to keep some gloves in the car. This will be a real pain as I like to take my mountain bike in the car and have to put the rear seat down and remove the parcel shelf regularly. For the last couple of weeks, it has sat above the spare wheel and under the boot cover.
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

I have not suffered from the splinters issue but agree the material is a bit no-frills for a car in this price bracket.

Has anyone tried giving it a good vacuuming with a suitable extension tool, or failing that a careful wash with car carpet shampoo. It's just possible this may solve the problem with negligible down-side risk if it doesn't.

Just an idle thought on a bank holiday Monday...
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
bjg5039

Post by bjg5039 »

Just adding my voice to the dissatisfaction around this. I dread removing the parcel shelf, it’s simply nasty. Love my Volvo but this is is naff design/manufacture. Vacuuming does not help unfortunately.
Hope Volvo are aware and will change.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I'm glad you posted here, I didn't see this older topic and created a new one a couple of months back. Everyone thought I was talking rollocks

viewtopic.php?p=31643#p31643

I keep work gloves in the car now in case I need to handle the shelf!
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Mines in the Loft. No need for it especially with the dark windows.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.