Dash cam - factory fitted

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

(hdasmith beat me to reply & would agree wholeheartedly re keeping image more road, less sky to keep overall picture brighter).

Yup, it's the size of the intellisafe box + the accessibility of suitable fuses that makes me interested in any solution Volvo might come up with.

I guess there is more than one camera in the intellisafe box????? As I said above, the lane tracking one would be of no use as speed of processing trumps everything for lane tracking (usually monochrome, low-res cameras with processors that normally only sample certain lines, not even the whole image). I guess the type of processing for pedestrian/large animal recognition is very different (more than one camera???).......though I doubt that colour temperature, white balance, etc. would be optimised for, say, making out registration plates at night.

I guess we'll have to wait & see.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera

DB2k

Post by DB2k »

interesting thanks..
the footage on my thinkware one is actually very good night and day. Maybe its worth looking at that again then.. although im sure i read volvo dont recommend them as it might interfere with other electronics. The thinkware one is wifi too which is good. phone app works and so no faffing with memory cards.

Heres a vid of my parked car getting driven into, and a dip poo child almost getting flattened by a cyclist then having a go

XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Silver Moose wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:53 pm I guess there is more than one camera in the intellisafe box????? As I said above, the lane tracking one would be of no use as speed of processing trumps everything for lane tracking (usually monochrome, low-res cameras with processors that normally only sample certain lines, not even the whole image). I guess the type of processing for pedestrian/large animal recognition is very different (more than one camera???).......though I doubt that colour temperature, white balance, etc. would be optimised for, say, making out registration plates at night.
I don’t think there is more than one camera. If you look through the windscreen from outside, you can see one camera, and what I think is LIDAR to one side. I haven’t looked inside the box yet (not sure why actually, given my natural curiosity), but it seems a huge box for just that.

I think the LIDAR will be used predominantly for vehicle, pedestrian and animal recognition as well as distance control for the ACC and emergency braking.

With modern neural networks, it wouldn’t surprise me if the camera was an alright spec. I doubt they’re using straight image recognition for any of the functions, I would guess it’s programmed through neural network training. It would be more reliable for such a wide range of road quality changes, and various animals and car shapes.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
varavital

Post by varavital »

This might be a solution:

https://www.carcam.nl/product/volvo-dashcam/

Site is in Dutch, but with a little help of Google translate...
The road is more important than the destination.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Good find, it I’m actually a little disappointed by that. I was hoping they’d use the existing equipment. I already find myself having to duck a little to see under the IntelliSafe box for a clear view at times, this would make it worse. I would also wonder about the legality given the requirement to keep things out of the swept part of the windscreen - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ration.pdf - although it does look narrower than 40mm in width.
Ordered 11th May 2018
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

hdasmith wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:14 pm
Silver Moose wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:53 pm I guess there is more than one camera in the intellisafe box????? As I said above, the lane tracking one would be of no use as speed of processing trumps everything for lane tracking (usually monochrome, low-res cameras with processors that normally only sample certain lines, not even the whole image). I guess the type of processing for pedestrian/large animal recognition is very different (more than one camera???).......though I doubt that colour temperature, white balance, etc. would be optimised for, say, making out registration plates at night.
I don’t think there is more than one camera. If you look through the windscreen from outside, you can see one camera, and what I think is LIDAR to one side. I haven’t looked inside the box yet (not sure why actually, given my natural curiosity), but it seems a huge box for just that.

I think the LIDAR will be used predominantly for vehicle, pedestrian and animal recognition as well as distance control for the ACC and emergency braking.

With modern neural networks, it wouldn’t surprise me if the camera was an alright spec. I doubt they’re using straight image recognition for any of the functions, I would guess it’s programmed through neural network training. It would be more reliable for such a wide range of road quality changes, and various animals and car shapes.
Thanks for that. It would be nice to see an additional camera and/or have confirmation that the lane-tracking camera has a decent spec / is backed-up by neural learning, as LiDAR/RADAR have their limitations at close range.

My limited knowledge comes from V.A.G. systems & I acknowledge that processing speeds are advancing at a rate faster than my poor brain can comprehend. All I can say is that the link below contains some VW self-study documents (aimed at providing an overview for new trainees) and the fourth document in (418) details the camera & processing used on a MK2 Tiguan (only been around since 2016) and, as you can see, it's all rather basic for now.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... WJkUVFRckk
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Thanks for that Silver Moose, that’s really interesting! I’m surprised at their method - it’s very simple, and something an undergrad would do (I made a programme for numberplate recognition as an image processing example).

As an alternative example of what a PhD friend did, he created a neural network that could, in real time, detect sail, tiller and wake position and size. It was for use in training sailors. A rudder, as well as steering, is a brake. You can also steer using the balance of the boat, so by analysing both, he could see how much rudder vs balance was being used for steering, and what was most effective and efficient. That was 12 years ago using 3MP (I think) colour cameras. Neural networks were better because of changing shapes, and similarity of colours (aluminium tiller on a white deck). If that was possible as a student 12 years ago, surely a car company now could identify road items more efficiently and accurately this way now!
Last edited by hdasmith on Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ordered 11th May 2018
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Sorry - that was a long post really!
Ordered 11th May 2018
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Curiosity go the better of me! On the photo below, you can see a single camera, and then I’m fairly sure the circular patch to the left with the green glint is a LIDAR unit. The second photo show the processing module inside the black Intellisafe box, taking the panel off from behind the mirror.

BC3BA41B-1520-48A3-A75E-36E35A1068C0.jpeg

440FD82D-AC79-4400-B981-EC4756B62FA8.jpeg

Ordered 11th May 2018
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Last post, I promise. Checked the manual, it’s only radar, not lidar. Sorry.
Ordered 11th May 2018