Dash cam - factory fitted

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

Hi

My xc40 is allegedly coming end of march. I talked to Volvo and they said in Q1 there is a factory fitted but also retro fit available for a dash cam using all the cameras if you have the surround camera pack. Don't suppose anyone has heard anything more on that? I got it after emailing Volvo about it. Was hoping to get my order modified to get it fitted prior to picking it up but might have to get it done at a later date now. I assume its just flash memory card and some software hopefully to track knocks when parked and when driving. Maybe..
Nothing on their website configurator when I checked earlier but I will keep checking in the run up to delivery as I'm hoping its a pretty quick thing to do and I think it should be (if implemented well) a nice upgrade.

cheers
David
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD

Morse

Post by Morse »

Not heard this before. I doubt that it would work on the fitted cameras only however as these would be too low down to effectively capture views unobstructed. I asked my dealer and they recommended the Roadhawk product which I had them fit. However I regret this now a touch as this system only records when the engine is running/ignition is on thus won’t capture any incidents or knocks when the car is parked. Be interested to hear how you get on.
T5 Inscription Pro, Pine Grey, blond interior . Intellisafe pro Xenium pack, Harmon Kardon. Ordered 25th Sept. 18. Delivered 19 Dec following a cancellation and move to earlier factory assembly slot.
abby606

Post by abby606 »

Morse wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:29 pm However I regret this now a touch as this system only records when the engine is running/ignition is on thus won’t capture any incidents or knocks when the car is parked.
You could always ask them to switch its power source from a switched live to a permanent live. Or depending on how they installed it (like a simple fuse tap), you could do it yourself.
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

I have a Thinkware on my current car and it records constantly so I'd def want that again.

sure i will report
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Hadn't heard anything but, thanks for heads-up, will keep an eye on things.

My car is currently expected for pick up early April & I spec'd 360 camera. I agree with Morse that views will be compromised (& lane tracking cameras can't usually add anything useful as they are low-res monochrome) but, if it's not too expensive, I'd still take the option.

Edit, P.S: Just checked web for any news items. No info on this. However, there is an option coming for driver-facing cameras.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

driver facing? for selfies?
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

DB2k wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:38 am driver facing? for selfies?
Safety:

https://uk.motor1.com/news/299532/volvo ... -revealed/
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

hmm ok. Be interested to see if that set up has ever once prevented anything bad from happening.. thanks for the link
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
Morse

Post by Morse »

I just removed the storage card from my system to look at/play with the recordings. 1st time since the thing was fitted. I should say here that I’ve never had a dashcam before so have nothing really to compare quality with. However because of where the camera is installed the view I now realise is restricted somewhat. The positioning of the camera is to the left of the Volvo’s intellisafe box of tricks mounted high up centre screen. This in turn restricts a good wide view of the road for the dashcam. In fact the right hand of the recorded images captures the black hashed area from the intellisafe console. I had assumed that the system David was investigating would be reliant on the grill mounted camera and I do not know if there is an additional camera mounted in this console for reading white lines, traffic signs etc. If this is the case I would definitely pursue this as this restriction does curtail the use and function of the dash cam I have installed. Eg whilst I might capture something pulling out on the left that causes a collision. It would miss anything coming from the right side until impact and then still possibly fail to capture any footage of the event. In short I have a dash cam set up now that is really only useful for near side incidents. So anyone else looking to fit a dashcam please be aware. However if you already have one fitted in your XC40 without issue please let me know this is working for you. The obvious would be to reposition the camera centre immediately below the inellisafe box of tricks. However at time of fitting, it was suggested to me that the position selected would ensure there was no interference with the intellisafe system. I will be going back to the garage on this. Be interested to hear other views/experiences.

The other issue I have is the quality of the image from the Roadhawk, this seems very dark. I played with the software settings and recorded more footage. I now believe this is due to the camera being confused by the honeycomb mesh for the heated screen. Anyone else experience this?

305AB244-710C-4277-994D-177A685CB1F4.png

4DA21067-77C4-47BE-AD7D-AE23F1D3EDF4.jpeg

T5 Inscription Pro, Pine Grey, blond interior . Intellisafe pro Xenium pack, Harmon Kardon. Ordered 25th Sept. 18. Delivered 19 Dec following a cancellation and move to earlier factory assembly slot.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I'd say the Roadhawk is giving a pretty good clear image, Morse. The white balance and exposure is affected by the very bright sky, so you could aim the camera down more to the road, and this will brighten the road and cars that are in the shade a bit. How much sky do you really need to see after all?

Mine's positioned in the same spot, and caught an Ambulance touting for business by pulling in far too close to me after an overtake. I have the same problem with the Intellisafe box, but it's not really a problem, just a little annoying. There's no where else to really mount the camera and keep it legal while still giving a good view of the road ahead.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018