No point in getting R-design in Canada

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
drilling

Post by drilling »

Hello guys,

First post here and I am very close to ordering Volvo XC40. I live in Canada and I did some researches and there is literally no financial benefit of ordering R design.

I want XC40 with self driving capability and H/K audio.

Thus,

XC40 T5 AWD with R-design + Metallic Paint + H/K audio and Convenience Package (includes pilot assist) comes at CAD $50,015

XC40 T5 AWD with Inscription + Metallic Paint (included for free) + H/K audio (included for free) + navigation (included for free) + convenience package comes at $50,665 (which is only $600 or so more than RD)

Inscription definitely has better interior material so I find it foolish for me to go for RD (despite the fact that RD has better design with cool black roof, but I also like denim blue as well)

What's you guys' thoughts?

morrishey

Post by morrishey »

My understanding is it’s more in the vehicle dynamics, than equipment spec differences. R-Design is more sporty setup, Inscription is softer. So for similar equipment I’d expect similar pricing.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Can you option the paddles in Canada?

For some, the paddles are enough to sway them towards the R Design. Nearly did me but, in the end, the interior & softer ride of the Inscription won over.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
johnd

Post by johnd »

Silver Moose wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:41 pm For some, the paddles are enough to sway them towards the R Design. Nearly did me but, in the end, the interior & softer ride of the Inscription won over.
Me too, but the rear window tint in the R Design, which I think you cannot de-option, discouraged me, along with the obligatory 20" wheels. I do think rear tints are dangerous - they restrict vision through the car for other road users and hence make the vehicle more like a van in terms of obstructing visibility for others. An odd choice for safety-conscious Volvo to make a less safe feature compulsory if you want paddles.

Actually and just to be clear I'm not an XC40 owner yet ~ I have an all-day test drive booked tomorrow, which is an R Design D4 I think - dealer's only demo model. But XC40 tops the shortlist at present, subject to an agreeable test. Bit concerned about the reported light steering and lack of steering feel but we'll see how it is. My probable spec will be an I-Pro T5 with Polestar.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

johnd wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:03 pm I do think rear tints are dangerous - they restrict vision through the car for other road users and hence make the vehicle more like a van in terms of obstructing visibility for others.
I'll wager 10 Bob and a toffee apple you're also a motorcyclist :)

I was always taught that there are four ways to look at a vehicle:

At it
In it
Through it, and
Under it
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
johnd

Post by johnd »

Silver Moose wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:13 pmI'll wager 10 Bob and a toffee apple you're also a motorcyclist :)
Good guess, but actually no. What's made me more conscious of through-vehicle visibility is that my house is up a narrowish private driveway (which provides access to the local telephone exchange) and meets the local distributor road in a T junction with car parking allowed left and right. Trying to exit the driveway with tightly parked cars left or right is a right pain if either of the adjacent cars have tinted windows - you just cannot see through them to spot cyclists etc. It's often a case of edge out and hope - there's no other option (though I have been doing it for almost 20 years now, fortunately without serious incident thus far). So I will do my best to avoid tints out of respect for other road users.

But in the specific case of the XC40, I don't like 2-tone cars personally. So the only way of disguising a black roof would be an all-black R-Design. And that combined with tints would look 100% like the archetypal drug dealer's motor.
Bob

Post by Bob »

johnd wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:03 pm
I'll wager 10 Bob and a toffee apple you're also a motorcyclist :)

I was always taught that there are four ways to look at a vehicle:

At it
In it
Through it, and
Under it
I am (a motorcyclist) and I was adamant that I would never buy a car with tinted windows, I hate it when i get behind large SUVs with tints and I can't see through them. However, the deal I got on an FE was just too good and, unfortunately, they all came with tints so I'm afraid I gave in. :? :roll:
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

johnd wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:03 pm Bit concerned about the reported light steering and lack of steering feel but we'll see how it is.
I found the steering lighter than other cars when I first got the XC40. Noticeable, but didn't really bother me.

When I drive the wife's Touran now, I can't believe how heavy the steering is - feels like going back to a non-power steering car and I have to wrestle the wheel around!

So, don't let that put you off - it's all about what you are accustomed to, and that changes.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

I honestly don't understand why people get so hung up about feedback through the steering. It's not like it's a car designed to be on a track or anything so for most mundane driving we do it's just not needed imho.
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
Godders

Post by Godders »

I found the steering a bit light in my Inscription in Comfort mode, after my sporty old Saab 9-5 Aero, so when I created my Individual drive mode (mainly because I wasn't happy with the stop/start feature) I took the option to make it slightly heavier, which for me feels better.
Inscription T4 automatic Onyx Black