Panoramic roof - wet inside

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Reallyfree

Post by Reallyfree »

Newbie here. Came on line and joined to search about water glugging sound from roof... lo and behold!

Mines done it... well, from the first day i took it out in the rain. Noticeable for a good 30mins of driving after it’s parked in rain, more noticeable at higher speeds say around 70. Seems to disappear after a while guessing as the wind dries the water out. Will check tomorrow for water in and around the flyscreen.

Don’t like the idea of dealers messing around with sunroofs. Only trust factory fitting when it comes to precision fitting of seals and adhesives in controlled conditions.

XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

Just found water under my passenger seat - not the footwell as others have found. Have checked the sunroof drains are working, tested with a jug of water and it disappeared down the drains on both sides and appeared under the car (making gurgling noises)- So i *think* its not a blocked drain pipe.
The sunroof sits nice and flat in its frame so I don't suspect that.

Are there any other causes seen by anyone ? Hoping not to have to trundle along to the dealers.
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA
Reallyfree

Post by Reallyfree »

Nothing worse than a leak, you expect it on your first car but not from a £40k wagon.
Fortunately No interior leaking on mine, but for what it’s worth there’s definitely an issue with these sunroofs. Mine started to judder on one side last year and eventually got totally stuck.
Dealer replaced entire frame (not glass) which resolved the issue. The glugging sound is still there however, in or after heavy rain and I have learned to live with it.
My theory is that at speed the rushing air siphons the water back up the drains, hence the noise. The fabric fly screen whilst a neat idea can’t help as it must retain water.

Check the glass curvature matches that of the bodywork. My glass is more curved than the body and projects up some 5mm in the middle. The dealer said this is normal, but to me it can only let more water past the glass into the gutter than on a normal sunroof.

Hope you get your leak sorted.
Howjay

Post by Howjay »

I had identical experience and observations. There is a factory fix for the “glugging” sound. It was a free repair that the dealer performed. It entailed an extension to the drain hose(s) in the A pillar.
2019 XC40 Inscription. North American
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

Quick Update -
I was at the Volvo dealer in Northampton (very nice, friendly and helpful), they spent an hour after the service investigating the water sitting under the passenger seat. They have concluded it's the windscreen bonding that has an issue. As I live between the UK and France its booked in for May for two days whilst they resolve by removal and re fitting. Hopefully that will be the end of the issue.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

So much for the OP only trusting factory fitted for adhesives and seals!

XC40Warwick - Good to hear of your positive experience with the Northampton dealer. I bought from them and received very good service and will be going to them for services etc. even though I have two other dealers much closer in Leamington and Coventry.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

ChrisLF wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:16 pm So much for the OP only trusting factory fitted for adhesives and seals!

XC40Warwick - Good to hear of your positive experience with the Northampton dealer. I bought from them and received very good service and will be going to them for services etc. even though I have two other dealers much closer in Leamington and Coventry.

Chris
It is the same for me Chris, I had been to the Warwick dealer years before and was not impressed with their lack of interest. Decided to see what Northampton had and ended up buying their FE demonstrator. Very happy with the team from Bells Northampton.
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

Final Update from me:
Attended Bells of Northampton with my car at the beginning of the week - booked in for three days for them to confirm the water issue was the windscreen bonding issue. In the previous few weeks the car threw SRS airbag fault, interior light inoperative, sunroof and blind inoperative. Oil level warning - too high.
Bells kept it five days as they had to replace wiring in the SRS and BCM modules due to water penetration. Screen re-bonded.
Volvo technical bulletin meant the car had a software update and oil/filter replaced to sort the oil level issue.
Bells as always did a great job and returned the car all fixed and clean :) it wasn't when i handed it over.
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

Well ... I thought that would be my final update. Two days ago i was cleaning the car and put my hand under the passenger seat - water again ! Car is now 3 years old but the repair obviously did not fix the issue (reported at year2). The dealer has been somewhat helpful but I am stuck as I am back in France and can't travel to the UK to get it inspected again. I am going to have to go to a French Volvo garage and pay for the investigation. I keep finding lots of hits on google about twisted A/C drain pipes being the cause of water under the passenger seat / footwell on volvo cars.
I sadly predict that I will be back in the UK when allowed and be selling the bloody thing - my first and likely last Volvo.