Snow Tyres

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ZED

Post by ZED »

Not wanting to jinx the superb weather we are having, I turn to the subject of snow. This is largely due to the fact that a lot of us are expecting delivery October and beyond :roll:

Has anybody thought about what they are going to do i.e. are you going to bother? I live in the Highlands and have used winter tyres on my Audi SQ5 which sits on 21” wheels in summer. The winter tyres are 19”. I have found a huge improvement in snow.

Does anybody know whether my winter tyres will fit the XC40 FE? When I speak to Volvo about this, they say that they only recommend their own wheels, which of course they would, wouldn’t they :?:

The downside of winters is having to keep changing them and also paying for storage.

I would be very interested to receive your comments and sorry for raising the subject of snow :oops:

ZED
XC40 D4 FE Polestar Crystal White. Charcoal Interior. 20” Wheels. Ordered 16 March, 2018
Original ETA June 2018 - now end of October 2018

MichelR

Post by MichelR »

Will have delivery in September and already saving up for winter tyres / rims..
Going to buy new set of 19" rims with winter tyres and change them myself like I'm doing now already.

In the manual you can find the pitch and so on. So you can check if your existing rims will fit.
Has 5 bolts.. So not nuts.
Ordered a XC40 T4 R-Design in Bursting Blue.. Supposed to get he car in mid May but delayed. Will be build on 10th of September
WRM07

Post by WRM07 »

I had a set of winter wheels and tyres for my two previous XC60's but unfortunately they won't fit the XC40, so will be selling them in the next few months and putting the money towards a new set. Having had several winters on them, I wouldn't be without them now, especially up here north of the border, the difference in grip is substantial.
However, doesn't look like I'll be getting them from Volvo due to costs, but My Tyres are already showing a set of XC40 specific wheels c/w tyres of various manufacturers for between 1400 - 1600 approx., which seem like a good deal.
First Edition, D4 Auto, AWD, Crystal White, 20" alloys, on the road since April.
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Hmmm I'd not thought of this . . best start saving too. Although we rarely get a lot of snow in Cheshire, we do a fair bit of travelling and have previous had winter tyres on hubbies beemers when they were the main car . . which the XC has now become.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
BRT99

Post by BRT99 »

Looking at winter tyres for my T5 xc40. I have 19” wheels just now and was looking at 18” wheels and tyres (235/55). The main issue I have is choice of tyre. The manual says that the min speed rating is V but 90% of available tyres are H speed rating. So I am concerned that as H falls below the min if I buy these my insurance could be void. The weird thing is I got a quote from Volvo and for my car they offered tyres at an rating. When I queried this was below the min recommended rating the dealer didn’t know if that’s ok and has had to refer on.

Anyone encountered this query before and know if an H speed rating is ok for winter tyres ? would make tyre choice so much easier.

E17589CE-7EC1-4316-A083-2DD5B95F937B.png

5240C755-F561-453E-8B56-A5A2D63728AA.jpeg

xbimmer

Post by xbimmer »

Tried Volvo dealer for winter wheels but told at least 10 weeks wait - so handy for Spring! Ordered some from My Tyres at 60% of the cost from Volvo (but I'll have to fit and store them) and told they were in stock, delivery in 5 days. 10 days later and still waiting....! After a lot of searching the rims are exact matches for my 18" volvo rims (7.5Jx18, 108/5 holes, OS 50.5 and 63.4 hub diameter) and I've gone for the Continental TP850 tyres. Always had winter wheels on my X3 (which are still for sale...) - feel nervous in mountainous North Wales without them. I did order some from Tyres Guru (sister company to My Tyres) but they cancelled the order and refunded my money.
D4 R-design 1300 miles.
D4 R-design in black.
BRT99

Post by BRT99 »

xbimmer wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:49 pm Tried Volvo dealer for winter wheels but told at least 10 weeks wait - so handy for Spring! Ordered some from My Tyres at 60% of the cost from Volvo (but I'll have to fit and store them) and told they were in stock, delivery in 5 days. 10 days later and still waiting....! After a lot of searching the rims are exact matches for my 18" volvo rims (7.5Jx18, 108/5 holes, OS 50.5 and 63.4 hub diameter) and I've gone for the Continental TP850 tyres. Always had winter wheels on my X3 (which are still for sale...) - feel nervous in mountainous North Wales without them. I did order some from Tyres Guru (sister company to My Tyres) but they cancelled the order and refunded my money.
D4 R-design 1300 miles.
Thanks - what speed ratings did you have before and on your new winter tyres ?
xbimmer

Post by xbimmer »

As previous comment the ones on order are 100H as opposed to the book minimum 96V, but these are the same tyres that Volvo offered me as well! My X3 winter tyres were/are 99H.
D4 R-design in black.
xbimmer

Post by xbimmer »

Further to my earlier post Mytyres has again cancelled my order for winter wheels/tyres so hoping the mild weather continues! I did sell my old X3 winter wheels though.
D4 R-design in black.