Data Sim Card v Phone Tethering

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

That's interesting, Apple must have changed the policy then. It used to turn itself off after a couple of minutes after being disconnected to save data, battery and security. Certainly, when used over wi-fi, that's still the case.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018

mss911

Post by mss911 »

mss911 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:28 am
But don't you lose wifi connectivity if you keep the hotspot on all the time?
Doesn't appear to - when I'm out of the car & the ignition off, the phone reconnects to a known wifi network.

We have two iPhones paired with the car this way & when in the car separately or together the internet connection works. When we are both in the car it chooses to pair with the last known connection although there is a menu option on the car to swap them if required.
senwar

Post by senwar »

mss911 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:36 pm
mss911 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:28 am
But don't you lose wifi connectivity if you keep the hotspot on all the time?
Doesn't appear to - when I'm out of the car & the ignition off, the phone reconnects to a known wifi network.

We have two iPhones paired with the car this way & when in the car separately or together the internet connection works. When we are both in the car it chooses to pair with the last known connection although there is a menu option on the car to swap them if required.
Interesting - as soon as I switch personal hotspot on my X, it disconnects wifi and just goes to 4G (just tried it now sat in the house).
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

senwar wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:58 am as soon as I switch personal hotspot on my X, it disconnects wifi and just goes to 4G.
So does my iPhone7
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
mss911

Post by mss911 »

morrishey wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:24 pm
senwar wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:58 am as soon as I switch personal hotspot on my X, it disconnects wifi and just goes to 4G.
So does my iPhone7
Do you have the Bluetooth still switch on ? (doesn't need to be connected to anything).

Also when you are on the Hotspot Settings screen the phone is disconnected from your WiFi - once you back out to the main settings list it reconnects after four or five seconds.

I'm using an iPhone 7 plus & iPhone 8 plus iOS 12.1 (just about to update to 12.1.1).
senwar

Post by senwar »

So just tried it again (I always leave Bluetooth on) and about 5 mins later it reconnected to WiFi.

However it disconnected a minute later then reconnected. Ios12.1.1 for me. So learnt something new but a little flaky - but would give it a go if I didn’t have the sim.

Cheers
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

Like Senwar I always leave Bluetooth on.
Like Senwar I’ve learnt something new!

Yes, the WiFi does return once I’ve exited back out to the home screen - thanks mss911. Next thing to try would be whether the tethering works (by WiFi or usb) while the phone is being used for CarPlay.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
Elegance645

Post by Elegance645 »

XC40 on order. Car will be used 90% by Mrs who is not tech savvy but will want to use spotify on her iPhone using my account. When I'm using the car I will similarly want to pop my iPhone in and use that. I'm just contemplating what's best a data sim card for everything the car needs such as updates? navigation? etc etc seen 3 sim cards around £40 for two years with huge data
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

If you’re using Spotify on your iPhone, and have enough data, you won’t need to use the car’s Spotify app and therefore worry about data. If you’ve ordered CarPlay integration, use Spotify through that.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Spikebyt

Post by Spikebyt »

Hi All. Just hopping in to tell you how I use this

I have a dedicated SIM in the trunk after reading several posts on this . I found out for myself that downloading data for maps and voice control is much faster over the car SIM than over bluetooth tethering my iPhone8. I got the cheapest data SIM-only with my provider and use data on my phone to transfer this to the car-sim, because I have a large amount of data. Works fine for me and never have to worry about putting hotspot on in the car
XC40 T5 AWD First Edition in Ice White with Blonde interior and Scandinavian Pack
(Parking heater and heated steering wheel plus heated rear seats)