Driving xc40 without the keys?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
andyobro

Post by andyobro »

Hi All,

New to the forum. An emergency first post. My wife has left her keys in Dorset, but car is in London, doh! I think you can drive the car without the keys, anyone know the procedure please?

Thanks Andy

Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

I wasn't aware you could, remote start still requires keys before it'll let you drive away
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
deanio

Post by deanio »

You’re supposed to be able to contact Volvo on call and they send a code to the registered owner and sends a virtual key. I think you input the code on entering the vehicle.
I may have dreamt all this too though but sure it’s roughly like that.
White T4 R Design Pro ordered 17/04/18 and supposedly arriving 30/09/18. Picked up 2nd October. :D
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

If the XC40 is connected to the Volvo On Call App, then the car can be shared with family and friends, through their mobile device, without needing a key.
This means of convenient connectivity enabling sharing the car is in my Volvo XC40 Brochure on Page 25.
I have not used this particular system, but Volvo On Call if contacted should be able to assist.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XC40 | First Edition | D4 | AWD | Auto | Crystal White | 20" Wheels | Polestar | Ordered 14th March | Delivered 9th October
andyobro

Post by andyobro »

Thanks for the replies all. Have tried calling Volvo on call a couple of times, both times the people on the end of the phone were as useful as a choc teapot 🤔
I have read that you need a red key to be left in the car to do the sharing thing. But don't think we have a red key, so a little confused by that.
Going to try Volvo chiswick tomorrow to see if we can get a new key. Otherwise it will have to be a hire car for a couple of days until we can get a key up here.
andyobro

Post by andyobro »

I think the car sharing is a subscription service feature, I think this is only available in the us right now. Here is a link to the description.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/d ... g-overview

Thought it useful to share in case anyone else finds themselves in the same situation.

Called Volvo on call again this morning and seem to know what they are doing, weekend staff don't. They are supplying is a hire car for 24 hours for free.
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

Be prepared for the price of a replacement key, I asked a while ago £350 plus vat and I would imagine they need your vehicle to programme the new key to it
T5 First edition Crystal White
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

I expected this to be possible from the marketing etc, but then on getting the car it seemed it's not possible in the UK :(
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Wouldn't surprise me if it was an insurance thing. Our insurance companies seem to be much more rigid than other countries
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October