Newbie questions

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
johnd

Post by johnd »

hdasmith wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:03 pm No, WiFi really isn’t a small user of power, especially when being powered off a battery. You can reduce power consumption to acceptable levels using certain methods, for example, by limiting range. Router to router has much better range than to a mobile for example.

This is why most functions use Bluetooth first, and WiFi for higher output - longer range, or more data.

In the context of car electronics WiFi consumption is still tiny - I doubt that it's more than 1W (measured from eg the 12v line) if that, and obviously much less when sleeping. Yes, Bluetooth (especially BLE) is certainly still more power-efficient, maybe by a factor of ten, but relative to other engine-off power demands on a car like ICE or sidelights, WiFi power is minimal.

Woolfboy

Post by Woolfboy »

UPDATE. I took NKXC40's advice and purchased and installed a range extended. My XC40 found it, so good news. Then when I entered the password all it did was whirl and just say it could see the extender. In short, it didn't connect 😣. I've linked the extender to my phone, tablet, and tv all without issue, so it must be my XC40 that doesn't want to play. Any advice guys?

Oh, just for added info, Wi-fi works in the car with my phone. Just seeing how much data Spotify uses
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Sorry, can’t help on that one. I’ve always found range extenders to be a pain in the a...

I’ve always used Airport or mesh networks for that very reason, can never get all my equipment to connected to the extender.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
NKXC40

Post by NKXC40 »

Hi hdasmith.

Just wondered if you have solved your problem yet?

I know you have probably tried all options to get connected but maybe a couple of things to look at;

Does the small globe icon in the top left of the centre screen have a line through it?

In settings for bluetooth do you have the box for connect to the internet unticked as if it is selected it will not connect to the internet via wi-fi.
D4 AWD First Edition Crystal White. 19” Wheels. No headlamp wash. Delivered 8th June after 16 weeks.
NKXC40

Post by NKXC40 »

Sorry I meant the previous post for woolfboy
D4 AWD First Edition Crystal White. 19” Wheels. No headlamp wash. Delivered 8th June after 16 weeks.
Woolfboy

Post by Woolfboy »

Hi NKXC40

Thanks for the suggestion and I thought you might be onto something, but sadly no as after checking, the box wasn't ticked

Back to the drawing board......
Dhb

Post by Dhb »

Does it play videos? Yes, MP4s from a USB stick. I keep one in the car so that I can watch a movie while waiting. The video playback does not work if the car is moving (the audio does continue to play)