GAP Insurance

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
iainrelliott

Post by iainrelliott »

After ordering my R-Design T4 AWD back in April, I’m finally due to collect it this Friday. Beyond excited!

Out of interest, what have others done re GAP insurance if taking out finance/PCP? I see there’s a preferential link on the site which does seem favourable in comparison to the Volvo quote I’ve been given. Has anyone any experience with this company? On my last car I went via GapInsurance .co.uk, and was fairly happy with the price and policy. Anyone used others that I should look at?

Thanks

Iain

Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

Hi
I would check with your insurance company, a lot of insurers cover full price / back to invoice on the first year some like NFU cover 2 years so you can delay it and save yourself some money.
T5 First edition Crystal White
iainrelliott

Post by iainrelliott »

Thanks for that. I’ll check that out as I wasn’t aware of that.
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

I compared a few when I got mine and ended up choosing https://www.directgap.co.uk . Good price (better than the quote by the discounted provider featured on this forum), seemed good on communications when I emailed them a couple of times with questions, replies within a couple of hours, even late on a Saturday afternoon.

As per MichaelXC40's post, they are able to defer start of policy if your insurer covers complete loss in the first year of ownership, but you do still need to take out the policy within a given time of buying the car.

Of course, the true test of any insurance company is the experience when you need to make a claim. Even the worst companies can sound brilliant when they are taking your money! Can't give any feedback on that, and hopefully won't have to!
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
iainrelliott

Post by iainrelliott »

So when my policy says 'New car replacement for cars up to 1 years old', is that effectively the same as covering complete loss in the first year of ownership? Can I still take out a GAP policy at this point?
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

That's the wording you're looking for, but I'd suggest checking with the insurer about exactly what it means. You still need to take out the gap upon purchase, or within a given timescale (180 days from first registration for Direct Gap, I believe), but can select the option to defer start of policy for up to 12 months.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

My insurance company (Saga - most of you are probably too young to qualify!) gives 'new for old' up to 2 years but only up to 12,000 miles.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
scrounger

Post by scrounger »

I've had GAP for a long time. Don't buy from the dealer. They are way too expensive.

Eg. BMW wanted £500 to cover my 1 series over 3 years. Bought GAP from ALA for £125 with GAP protection for £17500.
iainrelliott

Post by iainrelliott »

Thanks for all the comments. The car ended up being delayed, so now collecting on Monday (I've actually seen it today, so believe it will definitely happen Monday after an 8 month wait!), but will shop around, and look into the option of deferring the start date.