remote start

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

Hi there all

Just about to enter a process to buy an XC40. I had a question about the iphone app.

I don't park outside my house - such is London, however I was hoping with the app I can start the car/the blowers remotely to defrost the car prior to heading over. Is that possible? The sales chap wasn't overly sure and did mention that remote start was illegal in the UK for emissions reasons which makes sense but can I attempt to defrost it without having to be in it?

thanks
David
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD

morrishey

Post by morrishey »

Yup, exactly as you say. From the app, remote start, and it'll tick over warming up before you get to it. Car remains locked and unlit so it doesn't draw attention to itself either.

What is unavailable in the UK is the separate petrol driven pre-heater that is optional in other countries. As for legality if having an engine running while the car is unattended, this is possibly illegal, depends where its parked. On the road you could be looking at legality questions being asked, on a private drive or garage, its not the public highway so you can do what you like.

A setting option in the car allows automatic turning on of various things if its cold outside, such as heated screens, seats and steering wheel, so its all nice and cosy when you sit in it.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I'm not sure, but I think it is illegal (in the U.K.) to leave an unattended vehicle with the engine running on a public road.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

It is but I doubt anyone will actually enforce it
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Shaenei wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:32 pm It is but I doubt anyone will actually enforce it
There's always a first time...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Bob

Post by Bob »

It only takes a passing bobby :roll:
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Bob wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:08 pm It only takes a passing bobby :roll:
:lol: Cumbria police can't afford passing coppers. Finding one that actually cares is even more difficult
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

ah I'm SUPER glad I didn't get any notifications for this thread...

Right. So thats great. Glad to head about the screen/seats option too that's great to hear.
I'm trying to order a brand new one but the first garage I went to basically said they can't do any discounts as they can't make them fast enough. It makes sense but a bit annoying. Looking at a high spec T5 AWD at the moment.

thanks all!!
D
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

Purchased mine through Carfile (as I have with many cars) https://www.carfile.net/buy-your-car/volvo/xc40.html still about 10% being offered without any haggling. Don’t know if the like of CarWow would also get you any useful offers back.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

DB2k wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:21 pm ah I'm SUPER glad I didn't get any notifications for this thread...

Right. So thats great. Glad to head about the screen/seats option too that's great to hear.
I'm trying to order a brand new one but the first garage I went to basically said they can't do any discounts as they can't make them fast enough. It makes sense but a bit annoying. Looking at a high spec T5 AWD at the moment.

thanks all!!
D
I ordered through CarFile, I got 10% off. Carwow has very little discounts at the moment, my local dealer offering 0% on there and the most I think I've seen is 3%.
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red