Dash Cam

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Fitted a front dashcam today, Viofo A119 Pro. Decided not to hardwire into the fuse box after weighing up the pros and cons. Found an easy route from camera ( top of screen, passenger side, close to the intellisafe binnacle, almost invisible from the drivers position as it’s obscured by the mirror but within easy reach ) to the 12v socket below the centre screen.

Cable runs along top of screen tucked into headliner, crosses the A pillar along the trim joint between A pillar and headlining and then tucks into the rubber door seal.
Runs down the seal to the point near the top of the dash meets the trim.
It then tucks in behind the plastic trim running down to just above the bonnet release handle.
Runs along and behind the plastic trim under the glove box to the center console.
This the only point where it was tricky. The plastic trim of the centre console seemed to be firmly stuck to the carpet trim. Only option was to use a clip on the face of the trim to hold the wire in place.
From here the cable tucks in between screen and trim below to emerge just above the 12v socket.
Not totally invisible but saved a hell of a lot of messing about with piggy back fuses and ground points and shouldn’t cause any warranty issues. The 12v socket remains live for a short period after the ignition is switched off. So, the camera switches on and off with the ignition. It doesn’t appear to interfere with the intellisafe, everything functions normally.

I also fitted a DPai mini2 camera to the tailgate. Unfortunately it uses wi-fi to connect to your phone and it interfered badly with the DAB radio, the antennae for that is just to close to the camera mounting point. I removed the camera, might fit another Viofo which doesn’t have wi-fi but will probably not bother.
Did find a good route for the cable though. Not totally invisible again but not bad.
Single clip to the tailgate bodywork just above where the rubber conduit takes the cars cables.
Loosely cable tied cable to the conduit then to another clip, this time to the car bodywork out of site behind the rim of the boot seal.
Another clip top right from which I made a small loop of cable over the rim then tuck in behind the seal and down the right hand side behind the rubber.
Half way down the cable tucks in behind the plastic trim to emerge behind the trim in the boot. There is a cavity here with some insulation material. The cable can be coiled and secured here to take up any slack if the cable is too long. From here it’s just a few inches down to the 12v socket in the boot which again is switched on/off with the ignition.

Sorry for going on for so long but my experiences may be of help to some of you.

E364166F-E12E-40EB-BF16-F5BC4B885544.jpeg

89810FD8-E354-4A1A-A527-2DAD42B6307F.jpeg

F9C64184-328D-4FF4-B59B-626B92AB6C43.jpeg

AB220F10-BEDC-474C-8A31-A8B783FCD976.jpeg

408C6CCE-D6D1-415E-BC87-F9D2CF7F9A47.jpeg

XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Has anyone found that the camera interfere’s with the safety stuff?
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
XCOsmium

Post by XCOsmium »

Rifleman wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:53 pm Fitted a front dashcam today, Viofo A119 Pro. Decided not to hardwire into the fuse box after weighing up the pros and cons. Found an easy route from camera ( top of screen, passenger side, close to the intellisafe binnacle, almost invisible from the drivers position as it’s obscured by the mirror but within easy reach ) to the 12v socket below the centre screen.

Cable runs along top of screen tucked into headliner, crosses the A pillar along the trim joint between A pillar and headlining and then tucks into the rubber door seal.
Runs down the seal to the point near the top of the dash meets the trim.
It then tucks in behind the plastic trim running down to just above the bonnet release handle.
Runs along and behind the plastic trim under the glove box to the center console.
This the only point where it was tricky. The plastic trim of the centre console seemed to be firmly stuck to the carpet trim. Only option was to use a clip on the face of the trim to hold the wire in place.
From here the cable tucks in between screen and trim below to emerge just above the 12v socket.
Not totally invisible but saved a hell of a lot of messing about with piggy back fuses and ground points and shouldn’t cause any warranty issues. The 12v socket remains live for a short period after the ignition is switched off. So, the camera switches on and off with the ignition. It doesn’t appear to interfere with the intellisafe, everything functions normally.

I also fitted a DPai mini2 camera to the tailgate. Unfortunately it uses wi-fi to connect to your phone and it interfered badly with the DAB radio, the antennae for that is just to close to the camera mounting point. I removed the camera, might fit another Viofo which doesn’t have wi-fi but will probably not bother.
Did find a good route for the cable though. Not totally invisible again but not bad.
Single clip to the tailgate bodywork just above where the rubber conduit takes the cars cables.
Loosely cable tied cable to the conduit then to another clip, this time to the car bodywork out of site behind the rim of the boot seal.
Another clip top right from which I made a small loop of cable over the rim then tuck in behind the seal and down the right hand side behind the rubber.
Half way down the cable tucks in behind the plastic trim to emerge behind the trim in the boot. There is a cavity here with some insulation material. The cable can be coiled and secured here to take up any slack if the cable is too long. From here it’s just a few inches down to the 12v socket in the boot which again is switched on/off with the ignition.

Sorry for going on for so long but my experiences may be of help to some of you.

Hey Rifleman,

Have you tried attaching a DAB suppressor on the dashcam cable? It just clips around the cable in seconds.

https://blackvue.eu/product/blackvue-da ... gJ8pPD_BwE

I have a blackvue DR650 running in almost an identical setup to you via USB in the centre console 12V socket. Just ran the cable under the carpet from the A pillar and came up inside the storage area under the centre console socket. I don't have the phone charger and it's just a rubber mat with an access hole underneath so may have been easier in my car. I don't have any issues with DAB signal though.
D3 R-Design Pro, Osmium Grey
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Thanks for the links for the ferrites, I’ll give them a try.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

The ferrites did the trick, DPai Mini 2 is now installed and I’m not seeing any interference with the DAB stations now. Thanks once again for the advice XCOsmium.

The camera is almost invisible from the rear until you get really close up and from the drivers seat looks quite small, doesn’t block the rear view at all.

0278EB27-3659-4FDA-BF62-48A8913C323E.jpeg

7683FD01-D8E8-4220-9BBF-21DD0AB58463.jpeg

B225394C-41B4-4895-AE5C-CCEFA265A9FC.jpeg

Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Just fitted my Garmin 55, ran the cable similar to rifleman. A 10ft cable is just about long enough incase anyone was wondering
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
XCOsmium

Post by XCOsmium »

Hey Rifleman. Glad it sorted it for you. Cool install. I've since tried a number of different piggy back options for a fusebox hardwire under the front passenger seat and none work. Think the only suitable fuses are in the engine bay and I don't want to put holes in the firewall so sticking with the usb/power socket option now.
XCOsmium

Post by XCOsmium »

20181020_203603.jpg

Anyone looking to centrally mount a dash cam under the sensor cover... it comes off very easily and the clips are quite flexible so you should have no issues for a hidden wire route.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

XCOsmium wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:49 pm Hey Rifleman. Glad it sorted it for you. Cool install. I've since tried a number of different piggy back options for a fusebox hardwire under the front passenger seat and none work. Think the only suitable fuses are in the engine bay and I don't want to put holes in the firewall so sticking with the usb/power socket option now.
Yeah, I found it really fiddly to get into the fuse box. Really poor position for it in my opinion. Nearly put my back out with all the contortions required to get at it with a multimeter. I’m sticking with the setup I have...
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Has anyone found a good fuse to use? Just fitted mine (Halfords HDC400). Found a couple of fuses under the seat that do work with the locks (not ignition), but most are next to a relay so the piggy back wouldn’t fit. Only one I could use was the top right, 87 for the USB port. Unfortunately, the cover doesn’t fit on properly - clips don’t secure. It does take a few minutes after locking the door to switch off. Wiring was really easy.

Ideally, would like to find a fuse in rows 1-15 or 16-32. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018