Wiper failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

Driving along today, fine weather and warning came up on dashboard, wiper failure ( see photo )
Tried wipers, nothing would work, good job it didn’t start to rain. Came home, started engine an hour later and fault cleared !!. Car us booked in with dealer in a couple of weeks for “ service repair required hand brake fault so will get them to check this out too, unless it happens again then might hit the assist button.

89FF41A0-F27E-43F8-926C-FBE6BC40AD5A.jpeg

T5 First edition Crystal White

elecquin

Post by elecquin »

This happened to me earlier this week. I had a sound system failure a few months ago similar to https://www.xc40forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1146&p=12742#p12742
The garage replaced an electronics module in the steering column - told me it could have resulted in the indicators not working as well
Its apparently a known problem.
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

I had this issue not long after I took delivery last year, went into the dealer 3 times in total having various software updates, the first two didn’t t work, thane last one did, not had any issues since.
T5 First edition Crystal White
ShiftySixSpeed

Post by ShiftySixSpeed »

I've had no end of problems with my T4 R-design...

Wiper Failure
Auto hold Failure
Handbrake Failure
Traction Control Failure
Stability Control Failure
ABS Failure
Amp Failure on the sound system...

The list goes on. It's spent a total of 12 weeks with Volvo with updates done but no definite answer as to why.
Motability have raised a mechanical safety concern but because the 2 pages of fault codes had been cleared, the RAC couldn't find anything wrong and so the vehicle was released to me again.

It's a bl**dy joke!
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Had this today. Didn’t panic, just turned off car and locked the doors. When restarted, all good. Can’t really complain as this is the first electronic glitch I’ve had since new.

F6960AEC-30F6-4835-A963-4E90532B667D.jpeg

R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Deleted User 2446

Post by Deleted User 2446 »

I had the same issue in early June.
I've got to say it was handled very well by Rybrooks Preston.
I phoned them while in the car when this message came up. Luckily it was dry.
They said bring the car in now (it's a brand new March 20 plate) after 20 mins at Rybrooks Preston they said it needed a new wiper motor, which would be in that afternoon.
They gave me a courtesy car and said it would be readly to collect in the morning.
I've also had the aircon gas issue (IE warm air blowing out)
Now I would have been really P_S_E_ OFF normally, but because they gave me such good service I was happy. Also been OK ever since.
---

Post by --- »

I had the same issue too (in June), multiple times. In one instance, the wipers would not manually operate at all, no matter which way you pulled or pushed them. Completely dead, and unresponsive wipers / wiper stalk.

The error message usually occurred at start-up.

Dealer replaced the wiper module (twice), and the indicator / wipers stalks as well, over multiple visits :\. No more wiper errors since luckily (but still having headlight malfunction errors).
MY21 XC40 T5 Twin Engine Recharge
MY21 XC40 T4 Inscription
(MY20 XC40 T4 Inscription, rejected & now returned!)