Safety feature oddities

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

I've had a couple of odd occurrences with my D4 FE....

Firstly, if I go over a steep crest or bumpy road too quickly, the seatbelt pretensioner occasionally activates. and strangles me. and occasionally doesn't deactivate when the car realises that perhaps we're not about to crash, meaning I've got to stop to take the seatbelt off and put it back on again. Fortunately, it's only been with me in the car so far, because I reckon it would properly freak out anyone else!

Secondly, the collision warning buzzer / steering shaker goes off occasionally for no reason. Often on the same piece of road. and it doesn't go off when sometimes I might expect it to....

I'm also pretty sure that I could drive towards a wall at 30mph and the car would let me, as opposed to all of those safety videos that tell me I could do it at 60 and the car would stop. Obviously I'm not going to do this to test the anti-collision features, but.....

Anyone else had either of these happen?

James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

Interesting, I'm assuming by no reply that neither of these things has happened to anyone else?
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

James Blonde wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:56 pm Interesting, I'm assuming by no reply that neither of these things has happened to anyone else?
Fair assumption JB.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
early adopter

Post by early adopter »

I’ve had the collision warning buzzer sound a couple of times when there is no imminent danger - but in each case I could see why the sensors thought there may be, for example on a bend and oncoming traffic comes on to my side to pass stationary traffic. Nothing to worry about - just a little sensitive.
Neil76

Post by Neil76 »

I've had the collision warning activate too whilst going down a tight London street with cars parked on both sides. Determined that I may have been going a little fast for the safety system (just under 30mph), as I decided to go round the block and drive down the same road a little slower this time the system did not activate.
FE D4 Crystal White 20" Alloys :D
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

I've had it on a couple of occasions which make sense, like above - in town, narrow, near parked cars.

However, I also have had it on a couple of occasions where there appears to have been no reason - wide A road, no traffic, no obstacles as far as I could tell - very brief when it's happened, but I do worry about what would happen if something had been close behind. In those instances, it seems to trigger and within a second decide it's all ok. I had it checked when the car went back into the dealer, they said no fault codes :(
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

That sounds like my experience Kirsty - interesting, thanks!
DaveSig2018

Post by DaveSig2018 »

kirsty_s2k wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:07 am I've had it on a couple of occasions which make sense, like above - in town, narrow, near parked cars.

However, I also have had it on a couple of occasions where there appears to have been no reason - wide A road, no traffic, no obstacles as far as I could tell - very brief when it's happened, but I do worry about what would happen if something had been close behind. In those instances, it seems to trigger and within a second decide it's all ok. I had it checked when the car went back into the dealer, they said no fault codes :(

My city safe collision warning has gone off passing some parked cars (maybe closer than the car would have liked).

I've changed the warning sensitivity to 'late' and am hoping that helps.!
On order (April 2018) XC40 Inscription / T4 / Denim Blue / now on the road as of 30th July 2018!! :D
senwar

Post by senwar »

My collision system has been problematic since I got the car in April. Was in again this week and they've told me they've tweaked it again. Will see.

I think the system is a good principle but when it goes off with nothing around you, its annoying. Concerning come winter time too
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Red Rooster

Post by Red Rooster »

My mazda did this repeatedly, only found the problem when it locked the wheels when cornering and smashed wheels into a kerb. AA bloke found battery terminals were loose, could be worth a look as no fault codes found.

Advice for the winter, clear snow from roof and bonnet, as sliding snow can trigger safety features 😯
Waiting: Momentum Pro D3 Amazon Blue, due 7th Feb 19

Delivering 21st Dec, :D