Broken Tailgate Handle

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dewing Point

Post by Dewing Point »

Found a broken tailgate handle when I received the car, anyone having same issue?

IMG_6826.jpg

InkedIMG_6827_LI.jpg

XC 40 T5 AWD, 20", 360 cam, Lava

P1kajoe

Post by P1kajoe »

Same issue here. Didnt notice till couple days ago. Will warranty cover this?
samispade

Post by samispade »

Just checked mine and it's the same. Had the car for 4 months, so don't know when it happened. My first fault.

I've taken it off to have a look and the plastic around the fixing screw has broken away. the other screw has a few cracks as well, but hasn't broken yet. These may have occurred because the other side wasn't being supported. I've just tried some superglue on it to keep me going, as it looks as if the whole assembly including the camera and tailgate release will have to be replaced. A simple job if the garage has the part.

I would hope it's a warranty item, as it's hardly wear and tear.
XC40 FE Crystal White T5 no headlight washers 19" wheels. Ordered 2nd March. Delivered 26th April
Vaerlose, DK

Post by Vaerlose, DK »

After anti rust treatment the car came back with gaffer tape on the handle. The two fasteners on the handle were broken. A new handle was mounted by the Volvo dealer, and the company, which treated the car, payed the expenses. At Volvo they said that the handle probably had been mounted with an electric screwdriver with too high torque thus breaking the plastic.
XC40 Momentum, First Mover. T5 aut. AWD. Onyx Black, 18". On the road since March '18.
ste12

Post by ste12 »

Had the same on mine after a couple of months. Shut the boot one day and heard a rattle and something had come loose inside. Took to Volvo and it's not just a screw it back in job - the whole mechanism goes in as one. They took one off car in showroom but it had camera on. Think they located another car and just whipped it off that and put on mine to save me coming back again. All sorted in an hour or so and no cost. Imagine they'll just order one in to replace the one they've took off the car in the showroom.
D3 R Design. Silver. 19s. Tow-bar. Ordered 1st March. Delivered: July 10
CesarCastro

Post by CesarCastro »

Mine broke yesterday after just 3 weeks of use.
Both plastic around the fixing screws was broken.
Service told me that probably a recall will happen do to this situation.
Tomorrow they will fix mine.
If it happens while driven, wire can be cut by the sharp edges of the rear door and the all thing will fall free.
Also its very easy to steal the camara, just unscrew to screws and you have a new camera!!!!

César Castro
XC40 T3
GemBar

Post by GemBar »

Mine has just broken on the left side as you look at the tailgate, dealer ordering the part, now 7 months old.
XC40 T3 R Design | Winter Pack | Heated Rear Seats & Steering Wheel | Front Parking Sensors | Power Tailgate | Osmium Grey | Ordered Mid March for Delivery June / October / September | Now driving as from 14-09-18
algrey

Post by algrey »

Same here. Right hand retaining screw missing as no restraining plate for the screw. Car 7 months old. Sounds like manufacture issue.
CesarCastro

Post by CesarCastro »

Amazing is that reported cases come, at least, since Jun 2018, and almost one year after the same defect.
They really have big stocks of bad parts.
XC40 T3
NO_XC40_YET

Post by NO_XC40_YET »

had a rattle in the boot of mine, not knowing what the issue was, in the 5 weeks from reporting it to Volvo and 2 days before its due in to be looked at the whole mechanism has come away - both sides snapped and its hanging by the wire.
Its clear now the rattle was part of the left hand bracket and prolonged use has caused the right side to break now.
That's 10 of us with the same fault, and I expect many more not posting on here. I think it may be a faulty part rather than over-tightening. Any body had it go twice?