XC40 or Jaguar E Pace torn between the two. Help.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Gfplux

Post by Gfplux »

After 12 years driving BMW X5 Diesel (first for 4 years second for 8 years both from new) I am about to return to petrol and also change brands.
I am now close to choosing between Jaguar E Pace S. P200 AWD or Volvo XC40 Momentum T4 AWD. With the options etc they are very close to the same price and delivery.
Jaguar is my favourite as I have loved the brand however the Volvo is car of the year and you get a little more for the simmilar money.
Frankly just looking for a few pushes one way or the other from existing XC40 owners.
Thank you.
Luxembourg
Jaguar P200 S Auto AWD Santorini Black with Black Pack, Light Oyster leather seats and headlining. All season Michelin tyres.
Ordered November 2018 delivered early March 2019

City car FIAT 500 1.4 LOUNGE Metallic Grey RED leather seats

Bob

Post by Bob »

Search the reviews on-line, I'm fairly sure most of them compare up to 6 similar small SUVs against each other. In nearly all, from what I remember, the XC40 comes top, and the Jag is very rarely in the top 3. That should help make your mind up ;)

I can't speak from experience, I've never driven the Jag, and I've only driven the XC40 once (still waiting delivery).

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

Hi
I was the first to collect a Jaguar F Pace from the factory when they were launched, it was supposed to have had extra audits, quality checks etc but sadly was very troublesome. I had issues with the electronics from day one, in the end I had no choice to reject it.
It seems they new about the issues and still launched the car and were still having issues 12 months on. I would look at the f pace forum or even the e pace forum and read the reviews.
It was my first and last experience of Jaguar, the build quality and finish was no where near as good as the Volvo is ( it’s my first Volvo ) in my opinion.
Good luck whichever you choose.
T5 First edition Crystal White
senwar

Post by senwar »

No comparison - XC40.

I looked at the F-Pace before ordering an XC60 (and before changing to the 40) but did have a look at the e-pace when first saw one in the wild. Looks OK but inside was just not a nice place to be in my opinion
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Hi, just wanted to give you some advice if you want it. I had been with Land Rover for 14 years and had two evoques from new. I too, was looking at the e-pace, the f-pace and another Evoque. However, I did some research on various sites and found that Volvo came out on the top 3 for reliability, service and running costs. Jaguar I think came out at around 13th and Land Rover was around 20th. Also the car tax was higher on the JLR.
So after test driving the new E pace and F pace, I found the F pace too big and the E pace feeling a bit overpriced compared to the XC40. I went to the launch of the XC40 and test drove a D4 but I wanted a petrol because of the uncertainty over diesels. Ordered a T5 First Edition the next day a got it in April.
If you want a badge on your drive then a Jag or Range Rover it is but if you want comfort, reliability and gadgets then get the XC40 in a higher spec. Hope this helps.
PC40

Post by PC40 »

Back in January the wife and I managed to get a chance to drive several different E paces both petrol and diesel. Also different trim levels and both on road and track. All the session did was confirm that we made the right choice with the XC 40 which at that time we had only seen on static display.

Very disappointed with E pace and in our opinion no comparison with XC 40. Also, I used Jaguars own website configurator and the price for a similar specced E Pace was much higher than the XC40.

Look at the motoring reviews from February and March (when the XC 40 was launched) and almost all placed the Volvo above the Jaguar.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
Gfplux

Post by Gfplux »

Thank you all.
I have test drives of both coming up.
At the moment and you have confirmed it, my Head says Volvo my Heart (Ego) says Jaguar.
I will come back and tell you which won.
Luxembourg
Jaguar P200 S Auto AWD Santorini Black with Black Pack, Light Oyster leather seats and headlining. All season Michelin tyres.
Ordered November 2018 delivered early March 2019

City car FIAT 500 1.4 LOUNGE Metallic Grey RED leather seats
Patrice03

Post by Patrice03 »

I opted for the volvo.
Had 2 evoques and while did not have serious issues, both had minor but annoying glitches quality issues at delivery. Were fixed by dealer but i do not trust the quality control of jaguar land rover. Cant opinion on volvo though.

E pace is a fat cat, and you will probably feel it. Interior looks plasticky unless you go for upper trim levels which will cost you a hell of monnies. Technology is not up to latest generation and not with xc40. pitty, have the feeling that jaguar does not invest as it should do on its suv unlike range rover. If could also wait for new range evoque if not in a rush otherwise my opinion would be to go for xc40; looks fun, confort, equipped with many safety features and tech is up to date, cant be a wrong choice
xc40fun

Post by xc40fun »

Ever since I heard about the E-pace long before it was on sale, following through the developments, I was really interested in it, as I didn't like the F-Pace much and it was too big for me, the baby Pace seemed so much better. I got a bit obsessed with getting an E-Pace.

I got one of the first test drives in the E-Pace and was thoroughly disappointed with the quality, harsh ride and lacklustre performance for the price. I decided to go for the Tiguan, ordered it and VW messed me around on the delivery dates. Went over to Volvo as I really liked the XC40 too, refreshing design and ordered it before the launch party. I was nervous after my experience with the E-Pace but when my XC40 arrived, I loved it, no regrets!

Everyone's opinions may vary, so for some, I'm sure the E-Pace is a fantastic car, it's just not for me.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 4WD [190] | Bright Silver with Lava interior | 19" wheels | Ordered 12/02/18 - ETA 10/04/18 - Arrived 13/04/18
Chunkyhair

Post by Chunkyhair »

Old thread I know - but after having 740/850/XC90 we got a JLR Evoque to replace the XC90- lovely car, but not a Volvo. After 18 months wife persuaded me to get an XC40 FE D4 and honestly no comparison! Volvo all day long. Would never get a JLR again. Just not a Volvo!