Intellisafe Pro.. or not?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

I’ve got my car on order with the option decision cut off date looming, so as usual I’m desperately trying to convince myself that I need just one more option.
I keep going back to Intellisafe Pro as I’ve always been a sucker for a bit of tech.
The thing is that reading the blurb, this pack contains adaptive cruise & Blis. As the car already has Lane Assist and all sort of mitigation as standard, are you just paying £800 for adaptive cruise? (I think Blis is £700 as an option), or is there something extra there that builds on lane assist to keep the car in position on the road?

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I’ve been driving a car with Adaptive Cruise Control and BLIS for the last 3 years. I would never buy another car that doesn’t have it. I have to reverse out of a narrow driveway into a main road. I have no view of the road either side until the back half of the car is on the main road. BLIS detects any cars moving along the main road and automatically applies the brakes and gives a warning message and sound to alert me. It does exactly the same job when reversing out of a parking space.

On the other hand, my car has lane keeping but I never use it. It seems pointless to me, it’s a strange sensation and I’d much sooner keep hold of the wheel.
If you can afford the option I’d recommend you go with it...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Cross Traffic Alert is the thing that warns of traffic approaching when you're reversing out blind. BLIS is the led warnings in the mirrors if someone is in your blind spot.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
early adopter

Post by early adopter »

I can't recall what is in intellisafe pro, but if it includes Pilot Assist then this is more than ACC and Lane Assist, it maintains position between lanes as opposed to simply preventing you crossing them. In fact ACC and Lane assist are separate selectable modes to PA. I use it regularly and it works well, although some have reported it holds the car too close to the left hand side.
Vaerlose, DK

Post by Vaerlose, DK »

Among the extra safety issues I think that the ACC is the most important one. We use it almost all the time set for 4 seconds for several reasons:
It keeps a safe distance to the car in front of you, also if you are inattentive a second or two.
It works excellent in ques where cars suddenly stops.
You avoid speeding tickets.
The drive is more relaxing.
You probably also save fuel. This week we were on a trip almost 500 km with 7,4l/100km (38.2 mpg). Not bad for a T5?
I wish everybody had ACC. When you on the motorway experience a car keeping a steady, comfortable distance for longer time, it is probably because they have activated ACC.
The Pilot Assist is good as well also contributing to a relaxed drive, but it is only a support, because on roads with worn markings it goes on and off, so it is only safe if you activate the PA and "forget about it".
PS. I have also noted the posts concerning the PA keeping too much to the left. Strangely enough I have the same feeling although we drive in the right side here. However, when looking in the mirrors the car is exactly in the middle of the lane exept in curves.
XC40 Momentum, First Mover. T5 aut. AWD. Onyx Black, 18". On the road since March '18.
James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

Adaptive Cruise is great, I use it routinely on all road types when I'm in traffic. It has occasionally braked harder than I would have, braked later than I would have, and doesn't pick up acceleration as quickly as I'd like, but it just makes driving in traffic easier and more relaxing.

Pilot Assist is only useful on motorways or roads with well defined markings and no hard corners or bends. You need to have a hand on the steering wheel, so it's not auto pilot in any sense - It's a lot less useful than I'd hoped.

BLIS - definitely useful, it does make it obvious that something is alongside, or close, on both sides.

Lane assist is a pain in the bum, and I turned it off. I've found it pushing me into the verge on occasion, nudging me for no reason, and not activating when I have expected it to.

Those are expensive options though :/