SRS Urgent Service Alarm !!

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
boroman

Post by boroman »

Hi all, I've been reading this forum for a while but have joined in order to share my recent experience with my XC40 D4 First Edition with around 3,500 miles on the clock. I would also like to hear from anyone who has had a similar fault.
A few weeks ago ,on a Friday afternoon, I had a message pop up on the driver display , "SRS AIRBAG URGENT SERVICE , DRIVE TO WORKSHOP". Obviously concerned but almost home I continued driving until I reached home. I then called Volvo On Call from the car. They arranged for a Technician to be dispatched and he was at my house within the hour, fantastic service in my opinion. Unfortunately , although the message was visible in car, his diagnostic equipment could not see it. He suggested that the software was too new which is understandable I guess.However the Technician promptly arranged an appointment for first thing Monday morning with a local Volvo dealership to check things out and arranged for a hire car to be waiting for me when I arrived.The fault message disappeared over the week-end but I still took it to the dealership and my hire car ( Jaguar E Pace) was waiting. As a side issue the Jag was very nice though, in my unbiased-opinion , I do prefer the Volvo. Unbiased as our other car is a 2014 3.0 Jaguar XF which I love to drive so I have some allegiance to Jaguar.
The Dealer Technician was unable to find anything conclusive and he re-loaded the software and returned the car. 2 weeks later ,again on a Friday, the same happened to me, this time I just phoned the local dealer directly. I was told to take the car back in the following week and I would get a courtesy car. Again the fault light extinguished over the week-end and again all was waiting when I arrived and this time I got a new Volvo V40 as a courtesy car. Unfortunately although the Technician could see the history of events he could not establish a reason for the fault indication. The really helpful Technician informed me he has sent the details to Volvos technical department for analysis , returned my car to me and he will let me know what the Boffins come up with. That was earlier this week and I am now just awaiting the results and the way forward.
So the bitter/sweet experience thus far as a first time Volvo owner is a little bit of anxiety over the ongoing fault but the comfort of an excellent after sales service from Volvo themselves up to now.
Please let me know if there is anyone out there with similar issues and I will update the forum on the outcome of my current issue.
Red XC40 FE D4 20" Alloys

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Welcome man from the Boro. Useful info thanks. We have not heard from anyone else with this problem - but maybe it’s not unique? Sounds like you might avoid it again if you stay at home on Fridays :lol:
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
boroman

Post by boroman »

Good point. Will contact the local bus company to see if they do a “Friday Only” bus pass. :)
xc40fun

Post by xc40fun »

Interesting fault, like pmj007 said, not seen or heard anyone else with this issue.

You didn't have anything in the calendar that happens on a Friday and somehow it goes over to the car system? (I would have thought the two to be fairly well firewalled but you never know).

When you say the technician reloaded the software on your car, did he update it to the latest version?
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 4WD [190] | Bright Silver with Lava interior | 19" wheels | Ordered 12/02/18 - ETA 10/04/18 - Arrived 13/04/18
boroman

Post by boroman »

Nothing in the Calendar. Not sure if an updated software version was installed, will ask the question when they contact me regarding the ongoing analysis.
Flatman5

Post by Flatman5 »

I have had the same warning, also on a Friday, took I to the local dealership who confirmed a faulty sensor, a new one was ordered but when fitted it fired up a new error code which indicated a damp connection, two more days and a lot more investigation and it seems a wet floor lining around the sensor caused the issue.
The dealership are now trying to find the cause of the leak, the sensor is in the passenger footwell and the underneath of the carpet and foam are wet to the touch.
andygou

Post by andygou »

Interesting - a wet floor has been reported elsewhere on this forum. Wonder if there is a leak in the floor structure of some sort (shades of the original Mini!).
T5 FE Bursting Blue, 19" wheels, no headlamp cleaning. Ordered 24 February, arrived at dealer 25 April, delivered 30 April.
Flatman5

Post by Flatman5 »

There is a thought that the leak stems from a kinked air con drain tube, causing it to leak back into the car rather than draining outside as it should.
this is still being looked at as are other potential leakage sites or points of ingress.
boroman

Post by boroman »

Very interesting Flatman , thanks for the info. I did check the carpets for dampness after reading the post referring to this. I must admit I was not very thorough and only checked the surface rather than the underside , it felt dry to the touch on the carpet surface. Unfortunately I will not be able to check the underside just yet as it is with the dealership again. It has been booked in for a 3 day period to investigate this further and hopefully undertake a repair. I have continued to get this message up each Friday and normally it clears the following day but last Friday it came back and was still on when I took it to the dealer on Wednesday. Maybe that will help them identify the cause , it must be more difficult to trace a fault when it is transient.
I will update this forum on the outcome and explanation of what was the issue , hopefully I will pick it back up on Friday WITHOUT any fault indication. Once again I can positively comment on the helpfulness of the local dealership , nothing is too much trouble and they continue to be very courtious and efficient with providing alternative vehicles etc. but I'm just hoping there is a happy ending :?:
Flatman5

Post by Flatman5 »

Good luck with yours boroman hope you get sorted, it is hard to tell that water has soaked into the carpet it is held in place by the backing foam you really need to pull the carpet back then you can easily feel the dampness.