Infotainment system failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
senwar

Post by senwar »

Driving earlier and the centre screen went off. Nav disappeared from the digital driver display and a message saying 'Infotainment system failure, Service required' came up. Things came back but 2 mins later both the centre screen and the digital display went off and rebooted during drive. No other issue with the car.

Anyone had this before? I've actually got the car booked in for some niggles Tues/Weds next week so will raise it but a little concerning and wondered if anyone else had seen anything similar?
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels

NickC

Post by NickC »

It's happened to me just once. It was concerning., but hasn't happened since.
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

Not exactly the same issue but the central screen froze and then went blank on the first day I had the car, rebooted itself and the problem hasn't recurred - in fact I'd forgotten about it until I saw this post.

On a couple of separate occasions I've also had 'Service or Repair Required' come up on the screen when starting the car, the dealer has checked logs and have advised me there were no reports logged. They updated all software (as dealers always seem to do when there's a problem!) the message hasn't appeared again but I'm not sure that it is resolved. I suspect that it is a software bug rather than anything physically wrong with the car.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

The infotainment system failure error showed up on my screen yesterday too. Said it saved it to the car's memory to be reviewed at the next service. It came right back on again and has worked since. Still a bit of a concern though.
Jsuter

Post by Jsuter »

Had a complete black out of the system too, rebooted itself after a couple of Minutes. No issue since ...
T4 Inscription - Pine Grey - Blond Interieur - All packs - 18‘ rim - 4c Suspension - Ordered end of March delivered 24.5.18
senwar

Post by senwar »

I had a software update last week after it was in for a few issues. Will see how it goes but sounds like it does happen quite a bit on the Volvo range
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

I had a complete blackout of the centre screen and the central display last night. After a few minutes it re-booted itself and then balcked out again. It re-booted itself a second time and since then been fine.

It's a bit odd but the only issue I have had in 2 months.
XC40 D4 Inscription. Onyx Black, Winter Pack, 360 degree Camera, Sensus Connect Premium Sound
Arrived July 4th :)
ChrisS777

Post by ChrisS777 »

The 'black screen of death' was presented to me last night. I was searching for an address in the Navigation and it became unresponsive for 30s or so. After that, the screen went black with out any error message and remained like that until i arrived home (3 min later).
Today the screen is functional, I will be monitoring it closely.
Does anyone have any idea how to force it to reboot itself without switch off the car?
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

I've had the same issue twice now. I haven't been into the dealership yet as I'm waiting for my first oil change but have a laundry list of items i want them to look at and fix.
niteshade

Post by niteshade »

I just came across this issue today after 5 months of use.
While driving, the centre screen blacked out, quickly followed by the map in the driver display.

During the 'blackout', the radio channel changed by itself, the volume level froze and unable to be changed even from the steering wheel, voice control was inactive and the popup menu in the driver display only displayed 'Communications failure'.

The system rebooted itself after about 5-10 minutes while I was still driving.

After about an hour I restarting the car and drove around with no further issues. I was of course in panic mode when it happened and I intend to contact the garage. :?
D3 R-Design / Bursting Blue