Which driver support mode do you use most? Pilot Assist/Speed limiter/Adaptive Cruise Control

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
xc40fun

Post by xc40fun »

Curious to know which driver support modes you use the most and for what style of driving (motorway/town/country)?

I'm tending to use the adaptive cruise control a lot across all manner of driving.

I did use speed limiter with traffic sign recognition but that was quickly abandoned when it was picking up wrong signs on the side roads (this was mentioned in one of the threads a while ago).

I hardly ever use the pilot assist as I find it easy enough to steer, and maintaining a steady speed was more tasking than steering on the motorways. Would be nice to combine both pilot assist and adaptive cruise control, but I think that's going up a level in autonomous driving.

Anyone doesn't use any of them?
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 4WD [190] | Bright Silver with Lava interior | 19" wheels | Ordered 12/02/18 - ETA 10/04/18 - Arrived 13/04/18

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Don’t have my XC40 but I have all of those aids on my Skoda Superb and Adaptive Cruise is the only one I use, on all road types.
Only down side is that it’s a manual gearbox and once the revs go too low at slow speed it cuts off....
I’ve only used the park pilot twice in 2.5 years, too scary! Puts you in spaces you would never dream of trying yourself ;)
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
David56

Post by David56 »

I find the steering wheel is quite handy!

Couldn't resist, sorry I'll get my coat.
First Edition T5 in Fusion Red with 20" Alloys.
Now Sold
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Hands down the adaptive cruise control is numero uno used, Pilot assist occasionally on the motorway when quiet (tends to be uncomfortably close to left side of lane - so is not a relaxing drive). The ACC does scare the hebbie's out of me though when on full speed and heading towards the back of a Q/much slower traffic on the motorway. I've bottled a few times and hit the brake as it continues to head on oblivious to cars in front.

Likewise abandoned ASL for the same reasons as that it picks up the wrong signs/signs to side lanes and then slams on the brakes.

I do though have the speed sign warning on and that seems to have saved me a few close shaves with the mobile camera's.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

xc40fun wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:40 pm Would be nice to combine both pilot assist and adaptive cruise control, but I think that's going up a level in autonomous driving.
I might be forgetting things but isn't pilot assist just adaptive cruise control and they have then added in/on lane assist functionality? :D
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
johnbluerio

Post by johnbluerio »

Use them all, agree with Boomer the lane control is too close to the left to feel comfortable and the braking is also a bit tighter than I like. (there's no substitute for having a loose nut behind the steering wheel to keep control. )
First Edition T5 20” wheels not just a 245bhp 4x4 ipad.
Morten

Post by Morten »

I use pilot assist whenever I am out of the city, so I guess that 7 out of 10 km is with pilot assist. In the city I use ACC. I use to have a V60 so have used ACC for years, and it have newer failed hence my confidence is high.

I have driven a VW, and the ACC is not as good as the Volvo system in my opinion, if you drive into an roundabout the VW system starts to accelerate as the car in front of you is not seen by the car, the Volvo system doesn’t do that.

I do not think active steering (pilot assist) is the same as lane assist, the pilot assist is much more active.

The only real concern for me is that it can become to relaxed and you get drowsy, when you cruise and the hand is resting on the steering wheel you almost fell like you do not drive a car.
senwar

Post by senwar »

Pilot assist on long journeys/motorway trips. I find it fantastic although occasionally does make me nervous.

In fact as PA is basically adaptive cruise anyway I will use that most of the time and just steer myself and flick into non steer mode when I feel like it.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

I've only had normal cruise on previous cars and I find I use ACC much less than I used to use cruise. I find it makes me feel uncomfortable when it slams on the brakes well in advance, so in busy traffic I've had people almost pull out into the side of the XC as I appear to have dramatically slowed for no reason.
In slow constant traffic (morning commute) I find the pilot assist fantastic and when on a long traffic free journey it's bliss too - although having taken it down to the alps last month I do agree that you start to really forget your driving as you don't have to do anything. I also find in busier fast traffic that it is too close to the left and I'm always overriding it. I did love the toll in X kms warning on the sat nav. . not had that before :) I've not used limiter at all, didn't really use on my last car either, same with the park for you stuff. However I don't know how I'll live without the 360 camera . . when I drive my hubbys car, or my S2000 I really do miss the camera.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

I use Pilot Assist for the majority of trips on all types of road. Never use the Limiter. I have no issue with the car being too far to the right or left in a "lane". I set the distance control at the lowest level, but even so this does give me the one biggest niggle. If I am cruising along a motorway keeping what Volvo obviously feel is the minimum safe distance from the car I am tracking in front, there is still such a large gap that all sorts of idiots (you know the ones - none of this forum's members of course - but Audi, BMW drivers etc.) jump into my gap which of course then causes my car to automatically decelerate and fall back. Just shows that the ideal safe gap is ignored by most other drivers who think I am leaving it open just for them :roll:
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o