Polestar

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

I'd be more interested to know if it helps or solves the gear selector issue when at lower speeds that's been reported by the media. Didn't see it on my test drive but mainly drove on 60+ roads.
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Shaenei wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:12 pm I'd be more interested to know if it helps or solves the gear selector issue when at lower speeds that's been reported by the media. Didn't see it on my test drive but mainly drove on 60+ roads.
Haven’t noticed any gear selector issues myself. Suspect picky media types with nothing bad to write about. Will see if I can detect anything different though.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Installed this morning. 20 mile trip back from dealer. Tried different drive modes, particularly trying a 50-70 acceleration.

Main finding (obviously I suppose) was a very significant difference in throttle response. I had tried a 50-70 push (I don’t usually when driving normally) on the way to the dealer to check the effect for comparison. There was quite a lag before it picked up. Now hardly any noticeable lag. Same for other tests at lower speeds.

Another way this improvement is helpful is when using adaptive CC (or Pilot Assist). In normal non-Polestar mode, when pulling out from behind a slower car to follow a faster car in an outer lane, the pick up is quite slow. No longer. A very zippy D4.

Also when heading through roundabouts on a dual carriageway and trying to maintain a decent steady speed, with AWD plus the Polestar the stickability and smoothness is notable.

Finally, although I was messing around and trying faster stuff than normal, I still got 42.2 mpg over the 20 miles.

So, while it was only over a short distance, and now needs a more thorough set of tests, I can already recommend the upgrade, especially at the discounted price of £695 all in. If in any doubt, the offer includes a 14 day trial/cooling off period.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

pjm007 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:55 pm Installed this morning. 20 mile trip back from dealer. Tried different drive modes, particularly trying a 50-70 acceleration.

Main finding (obviously I suppose) was a very significant difference in throttle response. I had tried a 50-70 push (I don’t usually when driving normally) on the way to the dealer to check the effect for comparison. There was quite a lag before it picked up. Now hardly any noticeable lag. Same for other tests at lower speeds.

Another way this improvement is helpful is when using adaptive CC (or Pilot Assist). In normal non-Polestar mode, when pulling out from behind a slower car to follow a faster car in an outer lane, the pick up is quite slow. No longer. A very zippy D4.

Also when heading through roundabouts on a dual carriageway and trying to maintain a decent steady speed, with AWD plus the Polestar the stickability and smoothness is notable.

Finally, although I was messing around and trying faster stuff than normal, I still got 42.2 mpg over the 20 miles.

So, while it was only over a short distance, and now needs a more thorough set of tests, I can already recommend the upgrade, especially at the discounted price of £695 all in. If in any doubt, the offer includes a 14 day trial/cooling off period.
So, do you now sport an extra little sticker on the back of your car? :D
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Telboy wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:01 pm
So, do you now sport an extra little sticker on the back of your car? :D
Well not quite yet :( Apparently it comes in the post later with a pack of stuff including a certificate. It is I think in fact another stick on badge (DIY this time) the same shape and size as those for, in my case, R-Design and AWD. Like this layout, but for the D4 or T5 ...... No D5 for the XC40 (yet, or in fact ever)!

Polestar 2.jpg

morrishey

Post by morrishey »

Was there any significant insurance increase PJM?
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

morrishey wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:09 pm Was there any significant insurance increase PJM?
My post from one page back on July 2nd:-

“In planning for a possible Polestar upgrade, I contacted my insurance company today. They quoted zero change to the premium but would charge an admin fee. Fair enough I thought.”
ChrisS777

Post by ChrisS777 »

Hi Pjm
am not sure what is 50-70,
but can you please let me know if the diesel lag that is supposed to appear when accelerating from standing still (don't have the car yet so am guessing about this lag, from what I read so far) , disappeared /reduced?

Thanks
Chris
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

ChrisS777 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:38 am Hi Pjm
am not sure what is 50-70,
but can you please let me know if the diesel lag that is supposed to appear when accelerating from standing still (don't have the car yet so am guessing about this lag, from what I read so far) , disappeared /reduced?

Thanks
Chris
50 to 70 mph. Mid range acceleration. I never try to accelerate (i.e. race off or floor the pedal) from a standing start, just drive normally, so have never previously noted any lag there. I will try it next time out!
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

Shaenei wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:12 pm I'd be more interested to know if it helps or solves the gear selector issue when at lower speeds that's been reported by the media. Didn't see it on my test drive but mainly drove on 60+ roads.
I did my test drive around an industrial estate, busy nose-to-tail traffic, clearway roads and 70 dual carriageways so all types of roads and I didn't notice any selector issues. I even reverse parked it once back at the dealership and didn't notice any delay in getting it into reverse from drive.

I just wish that I had the extra £4,500 to upgrade to the T4 auto :lol:
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red