Exposed Wiring under drivers seat

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ramzey

Post by ramzey »

Hello All,

Longtime Lurker, got my XC40 T4 Inscription on Tuesday after a 3 month wait, it's lovely (see pic).

However, while I was admiring the space in the back I noticed a large amount of exposed wiring leading into a control box under the drivers seat (see pic). I can easily reach this area when I stretch my legs and it's entirely possible that the wiring could become damaged or dislodged, which is not good...

I have gone back to my dealer to ask them to check another XC40 and it's the same thing on all of them.

Has anyone else noticed this and do you think it is acceptable? I think Volvo needs to provide something to cover this area up properly.

Thanks,
Ramzey

chingf0rd

Post by chingf0rd »

Can't see the picture, but I noticed this too. Particularly as I have the seat quite far forward and so the wires are quite apparent from the back. Also I have a flap/plastic latch thing that keeps coming loose by my right leg on the drivers seat....

I'm ferrying my folks around this weekend and so it's the first time anyone has sat in the back.
MY19 FE / Crystal White / T5 / Polestar / Ordered Jan 2018 / Delivered June 2018
ramzey

Post by ramzey »

Forum doesnt like my pictures, trying again.

IMG-20180712-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20180712-WA0006.jpg

ramzey

Post by ramzey »

I've complained to the dealer, I just do not think it's acceptable to have that amount of wiring exposed to the rear passenger, I think it's a possible safety issue as well as being ugly.
ProMo-T3

Post by ProMo-T3 »

That's not good, I wouldn't be happy considering I'll be ferrying kids around in the back all the time.
I'll be following this post to see what the dealer says if you get a response.
B4 Inscription Pro AWD in Glacier Silver with all extra packs 12th Oct 21
Previously had a T3 Momentum Pro in Ice White for 3 years with tinted rears and 19's
chingf0rd

Post by chingf0rd »

That is exactly how my FE looks down there too (except in lava orange...)
MY19 FE / Crystal White / T5 / Polestar / Ordered Jan 2018 / Delivered June 2018
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Is that the elusive fuse box?

Not having a car yet I haven't seen it
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
ramzey

Post by ramzey »

My Volvo dealer has agreed to take a look at this next week, they have also asked Volvo about it so hopefully Volvo reply to the dealer before my appt with them.

I have since found out that this box under the drivers seat is one of the cars two fuse box's, (one in engine compartment and one under the drivers seat).

So what we have here gentlemen is a fuse box and wires looms exposed to the rear passenger, and accessible to the passengers feet. That makes me rather uncomfortable to say the least. I consider this a safety issue, which is ironic considering Volvo's reputation.

I'll be letting the dealer know that I expect it fixed (it can't be hard to fashion a solid cover for it) within a reasonable timeframe or I will reject the car on the grounds of safety, which again would be ironic for a Volvo...
chingf0rd

Post by chingf0rd »

I'd like to know if it is the same on all vehicles. The regular contributors on here haven't chipped in - any pics of your fuse box Boomer/pjm007 (ooer!).
NKXC40

Post by NKXC40 »

Mine is the same, must be something to do with the audio as the cover has Harman Kardon moulded on it. I would agree that something needs to be done about this and I will raise the issue when I have the 3 month check in early September.
D4 AWD First Edition Crystal White. 19” Wheels. No headlamp wash. Delivered 8th June after 16 weeks.