Thread for North West Europe Map data updates

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

Anyone any experience loading the latest update (1226). It's quite large, 47gb.

It took me 2 hours to download to a usb despite having a fast internet connection. (75mb) I started to install it on my way to work this morning. You get an initial message on screen to confirm the install and then the screen message changes to "Loading...". It has been stuck on that message for my whole 40 minute commute this morning.

Anyone know if that is to be expected?

Thanks
XC40 D4 Inscription. Onyx Black, Winter Pack, 360 degree Camera, Sensus Connect Premium Sound
Arrived July 4th :)

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Yes - to be expected. Just leave the USB in and it will keep on installing each time you activate the car. Didn’t take me that long to download to the USB on my PC - maybe 45 mins? My broadband is only circa 30mbps.
Last edited by pjm007 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

Hi
Anyone use Apple IOS
I’m not the best on a computer but I cannot manage to download the map updates, any help would be appreciated, last resort I’m happy to post out a mem stick for someone tomdownload on a windows system
Thanks
T5 First edition Crystal White
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

pjm007 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:58 am Yes - to he expected. Just leave the USB in and it will keep on installing each time you activate the car. Didn’t take me that long to download to the USB on my PC - maybe 45 mins? My broadband is only circa 30mbps.
Thanks for the advice. Strange about the differing download times. ;)
XC40 D4 Inscription. Onyx Black, Winter Pack, 360 degree Camera, Sensus Connect Premium Sound
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Michaelxc40 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:25 am Hi
Anyone use Apple IOS
I’m not the best on a computer but I cannot manage to download the map updates, any help would be appreciated, last resort I’m happy to post out a mem stick for someone tomdownload on a windows system
Thanks
Hi Michael, you won't be able to download the files onto an iPhone or iPad, you'll need to use a laptop or desktop to do so. From Volvo's support website, you download an app for either Windows or macOS, and use that to download the maps - or so it seems. I don't have my car yet, but thought I'd give it a go as an experiment.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

pjm007 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:58 am Yes - to he expected. Just leave the USB in and it will keep on installing each time you activate the car. Didn’t take me that long to download to the USB on my PC - maybe 45 mins? My broadband is only circa 30mbps.
Can I ask how long the transfer to the car took? Mine has been running well over an hour.

Do you see a progress bar? I see this for a minute or so then it disappears and it just says loading.

Thanks
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Brandyman wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:08 pm
Can I ask how long the transfer to the car took? Mine has been running well over an hour.

Do you see a progress bar? I see this for a minute or so then it disappears and it just says loading.

Thanks
Can take a “long time”! I never bother watching it - it doesn’t give you a progress bar, and as mentioned, depending on the length of trip, it can take 2 or 3 journeys for it to complete. I just leave the USB in and eventually it will end. It’s very user unfriendly, but you can just ignore it and it will continue until complete.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

Thanks for the advice, was starting to think I had a corrupt download. A progress bar would be helpful so at leat you know its doing something.

Thanks for the help.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Brandyman wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:54 pm Thanks for the advice, was starting to think I had a corrupt download. A progress bar would be helpful so at leat you know its doing something.

Thanks for the help.
Correcting myself above - I have found a progress indicator. Never checked for it before. Once you start the download from the USB in the car, if you go to Download Centre - Maps, you will see a “Download Progress xx% ” message under the relevant map entry in the list. Once the download completes this changes to an Installation Progress % message.
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

Thanks. It eventually uploaded. Took about 2 hours in total I guess.

Think in future, I just upload maps I will use rather than the whole of Northern Europe