Brake pedal judder?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Just wanting to know if other people are experiencing this or is it just me.

Since having my car, the brake pedal often judders and kind of grinds, this happens when shifting from Drive to Park/Reverse or Reverse to Drive/Park ect... It also happens when the auto hold feature kicks in at junctions ect...

It varies in severity depending how much pressure I have applied to the brake pedal (more pressure = less judder, less pressure = more judder).

I thought it was just a "quirk" of the transmission system but now not so sure?
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!

Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Won't bother trying to help you in future MrAggressive
Last edited by Shaenei on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Shaenei wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:29 pm Most common reason for judder in the braking system is warped discs.

Do you ride the brakes or apply slowly over a long time?
Shaenei I am well aware of this, if you read my post you will see this happens when shifting and when auto hold activates, not when braking to come to a stop. It happens only when I am at a stand still. It is a mechanical judder not that of a warped disc.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

MrParkson wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:26 pm
Shaenei wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:29 pm Most common reason for judder in the braking system is warped discs.

Do you ride the brakes or apply slowly over a long time?
Shaenei I am well aware of this, if you read my post you will see this happens when shifting and when auto hold activates, not when braking to come to a stop. It happens only when I am at a stand still. It is a mechanical judder not that of a warped disc.

Haven't noticed it in my Big Blue MrP. Worth a check at the dealer?
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Thanks Pjm, it's really quite noticeable. As mentioned I thought it was quite normal and didn't think too much of it, but as time has gone on it just seems it cannot be normal, almost like the auto hold is grinding a gear or not engaging as smooth as it should. Adding to the list of defects to give to my dealer :?
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

MrParkson wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:50 pm Thanks Pjm, it's really quite noticeable. As mentioned I thought it was quite normal and didn't think too much of it, but as time has gone on it just seems it cannot be normal, almost like the auto hold is grinding a gear or not engaging as smooth as it should. Adding to the list of defects to give to my dealer :?

Thought again about what you described and listened carefully this morning. I do now think I hear something similar. Not a judder but certainly a grind. Hadn’t thought too much of it before, but there’s definitely something there.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Well that's vaguely promising to me, though mine seems much worse, to the point where passengers have commented on it. Would appear nobody else has noticed it to the same extent I have, booking mine in for an appointment next weekend as I speak (type).
johnbluerio

Post by johnbluerio »

I have noticed a similar judder from start in reverse on a slope when you release the brake gently and slowly apply the gas, if you do it more aggressively it does not occur, ( when you are reversing down a narrow drive you do it carefully with a new car) I believe its mechanical when the disc and pad bite and release on different parts of the disc and on different wheels. It could still be a bit of newness only done 2K miles.
First Edition T5 20” wheels not just a 245bhp 4x4 ipad.