One owners view...

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
andygou

Post by andygou »

I've just posted a little review of my experiences to date with my XC40 on the web here: http://autonews.uk.com/road-tests/xc40- ... -the-year/ if anyone is interested.
T5 FE Bursting Blue, 19" wheels, no headlamp cleaning. Ordered 24 February, arrived at dealer 25 April, delivered 30 April.

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Thanks for sharing. Only a quick skim read but not sure I understand what you meant by this...

"with the roads appearing unnecessarily wide and hence limiting the amount of information which can be shown on screen"

not seeing that myself and any level of road detail can be flexible with a pinch to zoom etc.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18

Post by 01142007 »

Very nice read, thanks for posting
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Made for interesting reading . . I'm still struggling with the voice commands and I find the main screen nav a bit weird, it's probably me but I can seem to work out how to change zoom level and things - to be honest I don't use it often, so never take the time to do it - then it just winds me up next time I use it :)
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

A good summary which largely matches my experiences to date. I can't yet agree about the comfort of the seating (see separate thread on this subject). I too also don't understand the comment about the navigation display, I find the navigation a marked improvement on that in my last V60 (pre Sensus).
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

balmoral wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:44 pm A good summary which largely matches my experiences to date. I can't yet agree about the comfort of the seating (see separate thread on this subject). I too also don't understand the comment about the navigation display, I find the navigation a marked improvement on that in my last V60 (pre Sensus).
I do understand Andy’s point about “fat roads” when the RTTI is active at a certain map scale, but as has been said, you can pinch/zoom etc to change the scale and avoid the problem.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

pjm007 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:50 pm
balmoral wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:44 pm A good summary which largely matches my experiences to date. I can't yet agree about the comfort of the seating (see separate thread on this subject). I too also don't understand the comment about the navigation display, I find the navigation a marked improvement on that in my last V60 (pre Sensus).
I do understand Andy’s point about “fat roads” when the RTTI is active at a certain map scale, but as has been said, you can pinch/zoom etc to change the scale and avoid the problem.
Ah! so it's a problem when RTTI is active, mind you, I guess that you've got plenty of time to zoom the map if your'e stuck in a traffic jam!
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

balmoral wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:07 pm
Ah! so it's a problem when RTTI is active, mind you, I guess that you've got plenty of time to zoom the map if you're stuck in a traffic jam!
I'm guessing that's what Andy meant - I certainly see it then. They are fatter because the system is putting coloured lines on one or both sides of the same section of road at times to indicate queues - yellow, red etc. to show severity. So the map road width expands! I personally don't like the method, and much preferred my old Merc satnav (Comand) which showed little yellow and red cars to indicate queues.
Last edited by pjm007 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

pjm007 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:33 pm
balmoral wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:07 pm
Ah! so it's a problem when RTTI is active, mind you, I guess that you've got plenty of time to zoom the map if you're stuck in a traffic jam!
I'm guessing that's what Andy meant - I certainly see it then. They are fatter because the system is putting coloured lines, on one or both sides of the same section of road at times to indicate queues - yellow, red etc. to show severity. So the map road width expands! I personally don't like the method, and much preferred my old Merc satnav (Comand) which showed little yellow and red cars to indicate queues.
That was the way that my old V60 satnav displayed traffic congestion and it didn't cause me problems and I can't say that I have noticed the issue on my XC40 either - it must be something to do with the level of zoom. I tend to have the centre display zoomed out quite a lot to give an overview of the route and rely on the driver's display for the detail. This mirrors the way I used the V60 nav using a split screen
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

pjm007 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:33 pm
I'm guessing that's what Andy meant - I certainly see it then. They are fatter because the system is putting coloured lines on one or both sides of the same section of road at times to indicate queues - yellow, red etc. to show severity. So the map road width expands! I personally don't like the method, and much preferred my old Merc satnav (Comand) which showed little yellow and red cars to indicate queues.
Just found out how to make the fat roads thinner! Not sure if anyone else has but haven’t seen a post on it. There is an option in the Navigation/Traffic settings to “Show Free Flowing Traffic”. This setting links with the driver profiles, and is on by default each time you start the car unless you switch it off and save in a profile. This feature causes the thick green lines!
Last edited by pjm007 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.