T4 / T5 geartronic problem

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
gtest

Post by gtest »

T4 / T5 geartronic problem

For several months now I also have problems with the geartronic in warm condition.

The gearbox has lost its “smoothness”.

I can feel the upshifting and downshifting of the automatic transmission very well. I now feel a small shock every time (takes about 1 sec). I also feel this during braking (as if the engine gives power for a little longer, as if it wants to accelerate a bit first ...).

Before that, I only had severe shocks when the engine was cold and only the first few hundred meters. (Known problem)

They could not find any faults in the garage. They did reset and did a new “learning” mode. But this did not improve.

Anybody with those same symptoms or solutions?

It is just out of warranty and I heard that a new gearbox would cost several thousand euros (nice).

Ps : only have 20.000km.
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)

morganj

Post by morganj »

Totally speculating here but this was quite common on older Porsche Cayennes with Aisin gearboxes.

I would ask your dealer to check your transmission fluid level and condition.
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
gtest

Post by gtest »

I know the geartronic is an Aisin (toyota sub). Many brands use this 8-shift gearbox now.

Aisin AWF8G30 or TG-81SC model?
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
morganj

Post by morganj »

Cayenne was TR-60 SN
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
jeffersonlacosta

Post by jeffersonlacosta »

Ever found a solution for this?
gtest

Post by gtest »

Was solved with a soft update on mine.
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
jeffersonlacosta

gtest wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:02 am Was solved with a soft update on mine.
Was it just a regular update when they were servicing the car? Because I’m pretty sure that they updated it when they also did the reset for your car
Girvy1

Post by Girvy1 »

Hi.

I have just had my B4 front wheel drive 21 plate software updated and its now not as smooth.
jeffersonlacosta

Girvy1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm Hi.

I have just had my B4 front wheel drive 21 plate software updated and its now not as smooth.

So yours was fine before but now you’r experiencing the same problem? Shifting back from 3rd to 2nd gear is harsh and the car is hard to stop comfortably? Can you explain the problem you’r experiencing
Girvy1

Post by Girvy1 »

Yes the stop is uncomfortable and I find a slight lag in the gears. Its like turbo lag when changing up. Unfortunately I am at the end of my rope with this car and will be going back to Audi as I have had 12 years fault free motoring with them. I have had 2 breakdowns in the XC40.