Rocking an Rolling!!

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
DADDY KOOL

Post by DADDY KOOL »

I have a 2020 Inscription Pro T5 plug in hybrid with 8000 miles . love the car and smoothness of ride ,but every time you hit a deviation on the road surface /a bump/ manhole etc it pitches and rolls like a boat on choppy waters . yesterday I drove a brand new b3 and it felt well planted on the road and much easier to handle!
What experiences have you had with ride and handling ? I appreciate this is a heavy vehicle but not impressed . On 19" Continental ECONTACT 6 at 33psi any thoughts on how to improve the ride ?? Different tyres ??

m@rk

Post by m@rk »

I have a T5 Inscription Pro, also on 19" wheels. I came from a Mini Clubman JCW

I have now done 66,000 miles and the car still feels planted and confident (although not as good on the twisty bits as the Mini)

So it does sound like something is not right
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

It’s an SUV. MY B4 rolls a lot more than any other vehicle I’ve driven. Tyre pressures won’t affect that much. It may be worth checking the dampers. Not sure if you can get lowering springs for yours.
2023 XC40 FWD B4 Ultimate in Vapour Grey
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

The inscription is a softer ride than the r-design, but as you’ve got the PHEV, I suspect the suspension is tuned for this as it will be a heavier car…
Provided everything is okay (and can’t see why it wouldn’t be), it’s a case of getting used to it…
adrian_xc40

Post by adrian_xc40 »

DADDY KOOL wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:11 pm I have a 2020 Inscription Pro T5 plug in hybrid with 8000 miles . love the car and smoothness. yesterday I drove a brand new b3 and it felt well planted on the road and much easier to handle!
Hello! As an owner of a B3 Plus, may i ask you how did you perceived the power/acceleration of this one compared to T5 of yours, thank you!
MY24 23w51 XC40 B3P Plus, minus Blis, in Vapour Grey metallic, Blond Leather interior and Panoramic sunroof, H/K sound system, 19” Rims.
DADDY KOOL

Post by DADDY KOOL »

To be honest the T5 is one rapid machine with 260 bhp available at all times in power mode even when the battery has run out! The only problem is it will spin the wheels even on a dry road if you aren't careful. Don't get me wrong the B3 is lively but not on the same level in my opinion! it's just the pitchy ride I find a problem with ,I have owned it now for two years!
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I previously had a B4 Inscription Pro AWD MY21 and there is quite a difference between that and my new MY24 B4 Ultimate which is running on 20" rims with Pirelli PZ4's. The latter has noticeably tighter handling with less roll, downside is it's only FWD.... Getting rid of those awful Continental tyres has also made a difference.

Continental Tyres typically have softer tyre walls than other manufacturers, so a move to Pirelli PZ4 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is likely to tighten up directional handling but maybe not so much the wallowing. They should certainly improve the grip though, but clearly they're a Summer tyre like the Continentals you currently ride on. If you can afford to ditch them do so; you're unlikely to be disappointed.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
DADDY KOOL

Post by DADDY KOOL »

Having done 8000 miles the front Contis are ready to be replaced so I will go for Pirelli or Michelin next to see if it sorts it a little!
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Please let us know how you get on with your new tyres.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
percymon

Post by percymon »

Continental ECONTACT 6 dont get any positive comments from XC40 owners, quite the opposite

A change of tyre would certainly help in some aspects but I doubt it'll help much with the pitching and boat in choppy water feeling.

You could try putting you reg number, and that of the B3 into a car parts finder tool to see if the same part numbers come up for springs and dampers - if nothing else it might tell you whether its just the tyres or the suspension as well