What tyres next?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
itsmarc

Post by itsmarc »

eugen61 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:52 pm

Great so see how competition among tire manufactures results in safer motoring (new tire models with shorter braking distance). Michelin CrossClimate appears to have lost its dry conditions crown.
I've been fitting Crossclimate tyres onto my cars for years, but quite interested in the new Continental all-seasons, a little behind the CCs in the snow handling/braking as well as rolling resistance, but ahead on everything else - plus I'm seeing these in my local kwik fit for £20-30 less per tyre than the CC2s (and with a rim protector apparently).
2024 B4P Ultimate Dark | Silver Dawn (all features present and correct)

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Ruby12345# wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:09 pm Would liked to see a couple of lesser known tyres in the list of tyres tested. It always seems to be the known tyre brands'
Lesser know brands seem to lack the latest technological advances to compete with big brands. As explained in the video, you get what you pay for, in general cheap tires are performing poorly in comparative tests.
Ruby12345#

Post by Ruby12345# »

eugen61 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:39 pm
Ruby12345# wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:09 pm Would liked to see a couple of lesser known tyres in the list of tyres tested. It always seems to be the known tyre brands'
Lesser know brands seem to lack the latest technological advances to compete with big brands. As explained in the video, you get what you pay for, in general cheap tires are performing poorly in comparative tests.
Sorry but the tyre industry has come a long way you only have to look at the ratings most are B in the wet' when you have a tyre that will cost double the cost of a so called budget tyre... yet only last 25%longer.. I would say that 80% of drivers never get close to seeing the difference in performance and safety .... Mine came with continental tyres 235 50 19 and they are wearing faster than a melting snowflake in summer.. Certainly not worth the £180 for each replacement... And as for performance in the wet not inspiring to sat the least even though it says the Contis are A rated
Stanno

Post by Stanno »

I have done just over 37,000 on the original Michelin Primacy 4 and have 2.9mm left on the front so it's time to change them. I have just ordered a set of the same from ATS and they have a £70 discount on 4 Michelins at the moment so fully fitted comes to £564. That's £141 each, I'm happy with that.
Stanno
Momentum B4 FWD, Denim Blue, Climate Pack, Versatility Pack, Origin Inlays
Ordered : October 2020
Collected : 01 March 2021
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

James_T_Kirk

Post by James_T_Kirk »

Andy40 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:10 pm My default tyre replacement has been Michelin for many years and i've been very pleased with them. We popped a set of Cros Climates on wife's and father in laws car and absolutely no problems with them and they definitely an improvement in snow.

With regards to wet weather grip / braking, I was taught and always have driven to the weather conditions, so if it's wet, you slow down a little / leave a bit more of a gap (until the idiot in the VW / Audi with the fart map on the car pulls into it that is).

Neighbour had goodyear equivalent of all weather tyres and they were rubbish and didn't last long...
(until the idiot in the VW / Audi with the fart map on the car pulls into it that is) - ain't that the truth :lol:
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Another SUV summer tire test in XC40 size 235/55 R18 https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/202 ... e-Test.htm