Xc40 broken into without key

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

And it was a kid on a bike, who didn't steal the car. We don't know if they have recently traded in their mobile phones...
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.

Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Call me a syndic, but someone registers to post this thread and isn’t coming back with replies etc…. Hmmmmm
OxfordT

Post by OxfordT »

Contacted the local dealer and basically not very helpful. They can’t interrogate diagnostically what was triggered within the control units other than if the alarm went off (if didn’t), they are not aware if any such issues and after asking what should I do if if happens again the service associate said he couldn’t comment. I have changed the password on the Volvo app. To be honest I have had a lot of software issues and poor analysis with this car plus a recall. Add this issue to the mix and I don’t think I’ll be a returning customer. I am 1 year into a 3 year lease and seriously considering cancelling the 2nd or 3rd year at a 40% cost to myself.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

OK I tried this, yes if you unlock from the app it says press the boot button and the whole car unlocks. So it has to be how the lad was able to access the app, shared a password ?
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
steveg999

Post by steveg999 »

eugen61 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:01 pm Without a key the car can be unlocked using Volvo Cars app. First the tailgate is unlocked with no lights flashing and only after the tailgate opening switch is pushed manually will the driver’s door unlock. At request Volvo should be able to pull the logs both from the car and its app servers to figure out what happened.

Make sure to use a unique and hard to guess password for Volvo ID because login security is weak, there’s no two factor authentication (2FA) and no notifications for new logins. Someone with access to Volvo ID user name and password can log into Volvo Cars App on any new device, find the car’s position on the map, unlock it and start the engine. Fortunately, the car can’t be moved without the key.
If my car is anything to go by, the app will conclude the car is offline very quickly and that, too, won't be an option to unlock. Yep, just checked - used the car and home by 14:00: car is now showing offline so I couldn't unlock if I wanted to
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

My MY2020 goes offline after 5 days of not being used. During those 5 days I can unlock the car or start the engine remotely from the app.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Felindre wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:40 pm OK I tried this, yes if you unlock from the app it says press the boot button and the whole car unlocks. So it has to be how the lad was able to access the app, shared a password ?
Username & password combos on weak security websites can be accessed by hackers. People reusing the same username & password pairs on multiple website logins could be at risk. You can check if a username was in a data breach: https://haveibeenpwned.com
OxfordT

Post by OxfordT »

To be fair the police have spoken to me on the phone and they were surprised how effortlessly the person entered the car. He did suggest a battery operated motion detector so I have purchased one off Amazon for £20.00.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Have you traded in, lost or had a mobile phone repaired recently? Are you Android or Apple?
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Cro

Post by Cro »

OxfordT wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:22 pm Contacted the local dealer and basically not very helpful. They can’t interrogate diagnostically what was triggered within the control units other than if the alarm went off (if didn’t), they are not aware if any such issues and after asking what should I do if if happens again the service associate said he couldn’t comment. I have changed the password on the Volvo app. To be honest I have had a lot of software issues and poor analysis with this car plus a recall. Add this issue to the mix and I don’t think I’ll be a returning customer. I am 1 year into a 3 year lease and seriously considering cancelling the 2nd or 3rd year at a 40% cost to myself.
I'd message Volvo HQ and ask them to take a look at the logs they received from the car at that time.
Late MY23 XC40 B4P AWD Ultimate Bright Dusk /w Pixel lights.
Ordered 25th August 2022, delivered 11th January 2023