Xc40 broken into without key

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Bob wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:12 pm
JFDIT wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:58 pm I believe the Volvo keys, like Fords, deactivate after 15 seconds when no movement is detected. So Faraday pouch wouldn't have made any difference.
This is the case with the more recent models but the early XC40 key fobs do not have this feature. Not sure which year it was introduced.
It was introduced with MY2020

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

As I recall the Volvo App has to be paired in the car with the key(s) present.
Also 2FA is apparently rolling out now.
So who has had access to the car recently? Or your mobile phone, assuming you have the Volvo app on it.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

JFDIT wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:25 pm As I recall the Volvo App has to be paired in the car with the key(s) present.
Also 2FA is apparently rolling out now.
The pairing with the car is done only when activating first time the app. There’s no 2FA at the moment for Volvo ID, I just installed Volvo Cars App on a new iPhone and logged in with my Volvo ID and password, no other security prompt and no notification sent to my email that a new device is accessing the Volvo Cars app. There’s also no way to check how many devices are logged in and using Volvo ID with the app. Anyone with access to the Volvo ID user name and password can access the car without the car’s owner knowledge.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

That's not how it works with my Pixel Phones. Just tried it and the App on the second device won't progress sign-in without pairing to the vehicle. Just keeps "Searching for your car..."
Perhaps older cars/iPhones are different?

The manual says Both keys are required for initial pairing and one key for subsequent additional pairings
Lincolnshire England.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

JFDIT wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:50 pm That's not how it works with my Pixel Phones. Just tried it and the App on the second device won't progress sign-in without pairing to the vehicle. Just keeps "Searching for your car..."
Perhaps older cars/iPhones are different?

The manual says Both keys are required for initial pairing and one key for subsequent additional pairings
Perhaps AAOS cars are more secure. My MY2020 Sensus OS car can be signed in on any new device without a new key pairing .
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Maybe. Did you get the App Notification advising of the forthcoming 2FA update?
Lincolnshire England.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Yes, I got that notification. Hopefully Volvo will soon introduce 2FA.
pagesXC40

Post by pagesXC40 »

If the numbers on the keytag and the other key fobs end in MS then you have motion sensor keys which should stop transmitting when they are stationary.
My car has them. Delivered December 2019, 2020 model year XC40. The numbers on the key fobs are accessible by removing the cover and taking out the key inside.
Keytag numbers are printed on the outside of the tag.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

My '21 B4 has these keys too. So OP's keys should be the same given it's more recent.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

If it was by grabbing the key signal, which has been pretty much discounted then the thief wouldn't have needed to open the boot door first would he.

It does sound as though access was gained using the app but as said how did he access that?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.